Royal Icing Help

Baking By flourgirlz Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 4:13pm by flourgirlz

flourgirlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgirlz Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 6

I am wanting to make sugar cookies for Valentine's Day, but I have never used royal icing. Do you outline the cookie first with the icing, then fill in with thinned icing? If so, what is the best way to get the icing on, would I "paint" it on?

5 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 6

I prefer outlining first and then flooding. You can use fondant too instead of royal icing to cover your cookie.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 6

I outline first and then flood with a bit thinner RI. Some here use squeeze bottles and love them, but I like pastry bags as the squeeze bottle and I did not get along when I gave it a whirl. icon_lol.gif If you need a recipe for RI, I really like Antonia74's RI recipe here on CC. Happy baking! icon_biggrin.gif

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 6

I too use the Antonia74 RI recipe and add 2 TBSP clear vanilla for taste. I outline first and then flood with thinned RI in a squeeze bottle. I like the squeeze bottles. You will just have to practice and find your own style. I am still pretty new at this and have tried the bags and the bottles. It is just personal choice.

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 6

flourgirlz: Antonia74 RI or toba's glace, they are tops!! I use bags for thick icing, and bottles for others. I actually outline, let sit a few minutes, then sort of a zigzag motion with thinned RI or TG, then take a toothpick and work it into the outline. Let that dry several hours, and decorate on top of that layer. If you're used to fondant, try some rolled buttercream and RI on top of that. There's so many options with cookies. Looking forward to seeing your first pics!!

flourgirlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgirlz Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all so much! You have been a great help!! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%