What Are These Shells Made Out Of???

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 7:27pm by Win

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 25

Hey everyone! I have heard and know that a lot of you make these shells out of chocolate, but for some reason on this wedding cake these shells just don't look like chocolate to me. What do you guys think?

also, if they are all uniform in color couldn't i do fondant? but, how would i go about making them?
and where are the best molds to get if they are chocolate?

Thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

24 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 25

i agree, it doesnt really look like chocolate, but maybe they just dusted it with lustre dust?
you could just use fondant in molds too - i got mine in the uk though, so that probably wouldnt b too much use to you!
xx

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 25

They look like plaster of paris

gumpaste maybe?

or along the lines of the PP...chocolate then textured lightly

step0nmi Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

i agree, it doesnt really look like chocolate, but maybe they just dusted it with lustre dust?
you could just use fondant in molds too - i got mine in the uk though, so that probably wouldnt b too much use to you!
xx

oh! could i do fondant in molds? that was my other question! cuz i am thinking this is more of a matted look, where as chocolate would be shiney. Thanks for the idea!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 25

They look to be molded in gumpaste or pastillage to me. Would molding in fondant ever really give them the fine, thin look that these seem to have? Those are pretty molds --not the average chocolate mold. What about checking the selection of shell molds on GSA...?

Edited to add... sure! I mold shells out of fondant all the time. Have actually made my own molds as well using real shells.

step0nmi Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 25

ooOO! Pastillage IS something that i was thinking they might be...because they do look very thin as you say, Win.

ok..i may be doing the fondant/gumpaste because of time issues.

what is PP? I know you explained it a little but i have never heard of it.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

(i am thinking about $4 or $5 a serving for this cake- 8",10", 12" to serve 95...is that low-balling it too much? I think the lady in my area would do it for like $6 or $8 a serving and i think that would be too high)

Win Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 25

Plaster of Paris mentioned by another poster is not edible. It's the stuff people use to mold baby hands. feet, etc. icon_lol.gif

I would not hesitate to pay the $5.00 per serving you suggested.

If you are interested in making your own molds try searching for this product. (Link below) It is food safe and I use it for everything for button molding, shells, veiners, etc.

http://www.amazingmoldputty.com/

step0nmi Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:32pm
post #8 of 25

Thank for the advice Win! That product is amazing!! icon_biggrin.gif I don't know if i have time for that though icon_sad.gif the wedding reception is the 13th. but i am definitely bookmarking the page for the future icon_wink.gif

all4cake Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 25

I was just saying they look like it....matte, dry looking, pale....not recommending it be used.

Win Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 25

icon_redface.gif

Quote:
Quote:

I was just saying they look like it....matte, dry looking, pale....not recommending it be used.

icon_redface.gif

All4cake: I was not implying that you were recommending it for purposes of eating. Step0nmi asked for clarification as to what the product was. Sorry if I offended.

step0nmi Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:52pm
post #11 of 25

oh yes..i do know that pastillage is not for eating.

what size would you guys say that the shells are? I am looking at the molds on Global Sugar Art and they are very nice and I am interested in getting some but I'm not sure which size.

also, do you think the silicone molds would work well with fondant? I am thinking I am going to have to mold my own starfish though icon_razz.gif

and now that I look closer..I am thinking $5 a serving is not bad either icon_rolleyes.gif

all4cake Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:55pm
post #12 of 25

no no...no offense taken. i just realized it was left open....just wanted to clarify what i said. it was more of an eeeeeeeek moment...like...oh my, i hope no one puts that on their cake...i reckon i panicked a bit but no, i didn't take what you said as an attack at all. thank you, though, for thinking of my feelings like that...too kind!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:56pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

xx

oh! could i do fondant in molds? that was my other question! cuz i am thinking this is more of a matted look, where as chocolate would be shiney. Thanks for the idea!

I do fondant/gumpaste shells all the time in candy molds. Just make sure to dust with cornstarch before you push the fondant in and you can pull them out with a toothpick..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:59pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:

oh yes..i do know that pastillage is not for eating.

what size would you guys say that the shells are? I am looking at the molds on and they are very nice and I am interested in getting some but I'm not sure which size.

also, do you think the silicone molds would work well with fondant? I am thinking I am going to have to mold my own starfish though icon_razz.gif

and now that I look closer..I am thinking $5 a serving is not bad either icon_rolleyes.gif

Yes silicone molds work with fondant. First impression molds have beautiful ones too!..For the intricate ones you can put them in the freezer so they harden and then take them out easier and let them dry cause they will sweat first but then they will dry really nicely..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:01pm
post #15 of 25

Global Sugar Art has a few starfish molds under the First Impressions stuff. Just in case you didn't want to make your own!
I dream of being able to make a cake like that! icon_smile.gif

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:02pm
post #16 of 25

I'd get them from elegantlacemolds.com. They ship very fast, and look quite similar, except the star fish might not be quite as refined..

Win Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:20pm
post #17 of 25

Jeannem... icon_surprised.gif
Thanks for the website!!! Gorgeous molds! Now I'm going to have to order something! icon_lol.gif

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:28pm
post #18 of 25

Hope you like them--I love mine and have order LOTS of them!! I've made the shells out of rolled buttercream for a matte finish--but you might be short of time...

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:47pm
post #19 of 25

I also wanted to suggest doing white chocolate in the molds as well. I had white chocolate shells on my wedding cake years ago and they were nice and solid (and delicious).

step0nmi Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 3:35pm
post #20 of 25

Thanks everyone for the lovely help and advice. Unfortunately, I lost the order icon_cry.gif I'm really bummed. This cake was for a reception here in town but they got married on some island. So, i guess after giving her some prices she freaked out cuz they were basically paying for two weddings within 3 weeks of each other and didn't want to pay that much...and now they are having family make cupcakes! icon_lol.gificon_twisted.gif this is the only thing i get to gloat over because they are gonna make 150 cupcakes...and i just think that's silly to try and do by themselves in a week! oh well...yes, i'm bitter icon_redface.gif I could've really used the money. icon_sad.gif

Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 8:28pm
post #21 of 25

Well..that sucks!...but something else might appear...
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:32pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you Edna! you always know what to say! icon_biggrin.gif

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:44pm
post #23 of 25

I know it's a bit late and sorry to hear that you lost the order but they could be cold porcelain(?) but I don't think that's edible but it would pick up the detail from the molds brilliantly!

tonedna Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:25am
post #24 of 25
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you Edna! you always know what to say! icon_biggrin.gif

God don't close a door without opening a new one!...
Edna thumbs_up.gif

Win Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:27pm
post #25 of 25

[quote]God don't close a door without opening a new one!...
Edna /quote]

Exactly what I was going to add! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%