Customers Really Don't Understand How It Works...

Business By costumeczar Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 10:44pm by SecretAgentCakeBaker

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:50pm
post #31 of 46

My SIL has got me hooked on Parmesan Popcorn too! icon_confused.gif Yeah, sounds gross. icon_lol.gif

We pop a bag here at work (sorry! we only have a microwave here!) & sprinkle Parmesean cheese over the wholething while it's still hot & the butter is melty. Yummmmm .... thumbs_up.gif

This also garuantees us that no one else will stick their grubby hands in our popcorn bowl! (the guys at work think this is a totally gross way to eat PC)

icon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:51pm
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayanami

I grew up making popcorn with my daddy in an air popper & I remember one time (for Christmas maybe?) he got a wine bottle of popcorn kernels that were colored red. I thought that was the coolest thing! Still do. icon_lol.gif It wasn't flavored, tasted just the same as regular, but it popped up wine red. I've looked, but never found anything like it since.

For some really interesting popcorn flavors, go to popcornlovers dot com. They have several colors/flavors of kernels for you to pop at home. The Red River Valley is a red kernel that pops up a beautiful white and it's got a great flavor. They have everything from yellow kernels to red to black. I have the High Mountain Midnight and Savannah Gold at home as well as the Red River Valley. It's interesting to see how they each differ in flavor and texture.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:52pm
post #33 of 46

Parmesan is good on it...I put Lawry's seasoned salt on it, which kept my husband's grubby hands out of it, but now my son likes it that way so I still have to share.

My cousin from England liked popcorn with sugar on it, and hadn't seen salt ever put on it before, so it's a cultural thing, too. But good any way you look at it.

lmpedersen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmpedersen Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:53pm
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Quote:

I was once introduced to a woman who lives up the street from me, and she said "I know you! You're my daughter's best Girl Scout cookie customer!"

When I was a Camp Fire Girl, I would just leave a case sitting out where it was easily seen. My parents would help themselves regularly and then just pay for however many were missing when it was time to turn everything in. icon_lol.gif

I was usually one of the top sellers. I did fairly well door to door, but my parents were definitely my best customers.

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:53pm
post #35 of 46

I knew there had to be a place where you could get microwave ears of popcorn.

Check this out for you addicts:

http://buy.chesters.com/PopCommerce/Gift.asp

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:54pm
post #36 of 46

Try your popcorn with that Hot Salt from Morton's. It's great!!

And parmesan cheese - oh my goodness - so delicious!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:04pm
post #37 of 46

melvin01--Thanks for the popcorn link!

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:06pm
post #38 of 46

Sure thing, www.bigredpopcorn.com also has some, I don't know if it's cheaper or not, though.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:13pm
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin01

Okay, I know I will get bashed for this, but I'm not a fanatic of the Girl Scout Cookies. I do like the mint ones, but I never buy them. I think (and TubbsCookies, you can confirm or deny this) that they put something addictive in them because people go absolutely NUTS for the cookies! It scares me....

Well, I'm in Canada, so we don't have the same system as you. We have chocolate and vanilla sandwich in the spring, and mint chocolate in the fall. And you can guarantee whichever you have, people always want the other kind. When they switched manufacturers a few years ago (Christie to Dare, I think), there was outrage!!

I don't love them either, but of course we buy them. I find it annoying when we're out selling on a cold night with cute little girls, and people still say no. I figure you're not really asking them to buy cookies, you're really saying "please donate $4 to a worthy organisation, and here's a box of cookies to say Thanks".

On the popcorn thing, isn't there some nasty cancer-causing thing in the microwave popcorn? or was that de-bunked?

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:27pm
post #40 of 46

OK, now you've all done it. I think I'll be making a bowl of popcorn tonight. But since I've been trying to be a good girl and avoid high-calorie snacks, I'll probably make my version of diet popcorn: air popped, drizzled with fresh lemon juice and topped off with a little salt. It's yummy to munch, has a strong enough flavor to make your tongue/brain think it's had something substantial and best of all: no guilt.
Heck, there's even vitamin C in it! icon_smile.gif

I'd have to agree about the microwave popcorn: nasty stuff! Now if I want the calories, real butter and - if I happen to have some on hand - cheddar popcorn cheese are the way to go! Mmmm!

jenny

janine1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janine1972 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:19pm
post #41 of 46

lol- talk about a walk down memory lane - all this talk of different pop corns and stuff - lol
My gran used to make my 2 brothers and me, each time we came to visit there was a bag of sugar popcorn for each of us - lol
i have not eaten it that way in a heng of a long time -

I love propper buttered pop corn or just plain salted - oh and here we get a sprinkle called - cream cheese and chives - oooh that is divine on popcorn, french fries, crisps - etc etc etc - lol

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:28pm
post #42 of 46

Hey TubbsCookies! I'm a Cdn. Guide leader too - small world! I've still got minty cookies if anyone wants a box - I'm sure they ship well!! Hee hee! icon_lol.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:55pm
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade1687

I'm a Cdn. Guide leader too.

I've still got minty cookies if anyone wants a box - I'm sure they ship well!! Hee hee! icon_lol.gif

You Go Girl! Pathfinders leader here - phew, they're more exhausting than the Sparks!

I don't even want to know what they put in the cookies. They last FOREVER!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:37pm
post #44 of 46

I'm not a huge fan of GS cookies either, but I do buy them to help the girls out. The mint ones are okay crumbled in ice cream.

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:40pm
post #45 of 46

Girl Scout Thin Mints are available in your grocery store. Just buy Keebler Grasshoppers. Same thing!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:44pm
post #46 of 46

There is a stovetop popcorn popper called 'Whirley Pop'. It's awesome. There is a crank in the handle to stir the popcorn while it is cooking. As the pot gets used more and more, it becomes seasoned so you don't have to use much oil at all. It comes with recipes, and my favorite is one similar to kettle corn. You add sugar right to the pot and it melts onto the popcorn during the popping. I like to add a bit of salt when it is finished. Sometimes we add food coloring to make fun colors for kids.

http://www.wabashvalleyfarms.com/

We made a bunch of this, using colored sugars, packed it in small plastic bags, and donated to a bake sale. It was very popular! It's also very popular snack to bring to a kids party-always the first snack to be finished.

Beside the kettle corn, my favorite popcorn is completely plain. I just put kernels into a self-venting Tupperware container, pop it in the microwave for about 3 minutes. It is really crispy that way. I don't put anything at all on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%