Paragraphical-Ness

Decorating By -K8memphis Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 2:01pm by Anntee

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:03pm
post #91 of 102

Exactly Edna.!!! As long as I communicate I don't try too hard now to change my accent, I can't, that's me. I don't want to sound like the mexican movies where supposedly the actor is american and is trying to speak spanish or english and they sound awful.

When I registered my kids for t-ball several coaches asked me why didn't the mother was there. I AM their mom. You should have seen the look in his face!! something like this icon_eek.gif . Not because my sons don't resemble me (?), but because they don't have an accent like I do and to my shame icon_redface.gif some of them can't speak spanish as fluently as I do. Up to 3 weeks ago some "friends" that live here but never took the time or effort to learn English, would make "fun" remarks to my younger son about not speaking spanish that "much". I got tired of it and said: He does not have to, but you DO need to learn to speak, write and read English, you choose to come and live here, at least make the effort. My son lives here and don't expect people from here to acomodate to him. WE should learn the language. He can take spanish classes later like my other sons did.
My DH tought I was rude. So? I can give my opinion too. Besides, I didn't tell him EVERYTHING I wanted to, because I didn't want to sound rude. icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:09pm
post #92 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldag0615

...My DH tought I was rude. So? I can give my opinion too. Besides, I didn't tell him EVERYTHING I wanted to, because I didn't want to sound rude. icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Oh for sure--Dudette, if you held back you couldn't have been rude. icon_biggrin.gif
Besides we've learned to hold back a little in case they didn't get it straight the first time, we got another round in the chamber so to speak. Y'know the old line from the movie, 'Thou are standing where I'm about to shoot." (as many times as necessary too!)

Good for you.

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:16pm
post #93 of 102

Thank you K8memphis!
I even used to say the same thing to my mom, but in a muuuuuuch nicer way. She was my mom, and I am who I am because of her.
But not the other people , no waaaay. icon_twisted.gif

P.S. as it is, that man thinks I am a really bad influence on his wife icon_lol.gif Just because poor innocent me is trying to convince her is ok to speak your mind . Crazy people.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:18pm
post #94 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Is not too bad to learn..is just difficult to speak it!.. icon_lol.gif ..oh, and writing it!!!!!... icon_lol.gif But then again is easier than German.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Edna, your English is very good. I love that I can watch your videos and completely understand everything and you write just fine!

That's funny about finding English easier than German. I can't imagine how people learn English. Just look at these words alone: bough, through, cough, enough, although, etc. None of these words are pronounced the same but they all use "ough" in them!

German is my second language and I LOVED my German classes. I learned MUCH more about grammar from my five years of German classes than I did in all the English classes I took growing up. I just wish I'd had more opportunities to use it. Now I'm quite rusty!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:44pm
post #95 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Is not too bad to learn..is just difficult to speak it!.. icon_lol.gif ..oh, and writing it!!!!!... icon_lol.gif But then again is easier than German.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Edna, your English is very good. I love that I can watch your videos and completely understand everything and you write just fine!

That's funny about finding English easier than German. I can't imagine how people learn English. Just look at these words alone: bough, through, cough, enough, although, etc. None of these words are pronounced the same but they all use "ough" in them!

Oh..dont get me started on that!...sheep, ship, chip!!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif
sheet, sh$$!..My goodness..I am so scared to say cookie sheet cause I tend to say the other word icon_redface.gif . So I decided I should say cookie pan! icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

German is my second language and I LOVED my German classes. I learned MUCH more about grammar from my five years of German classes than I did in all the English classes I took growing up. I just wish I'd had more opportunities to use it. Now I'm quite rusty!

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:17am
post #96 of 102

Ok, so I went to work yesterday and found this note in my box from my manager, and knew that I had to come and post in this forum, otherwise I might have thrown something!

Here is what the note says:
I will be receiving the SSS (customer service scores) at the end of every month. Not that I have to bribe you to perform excellent customer service, I will be buying lunch for the store if we can reach one of the following goals each month:
-If are score for the month is higher than the previous month, I will buy pizza
-If are score for the month is higher than the previous month and higher that are target score, I will buy a catered lunch (with in reason-no steak and lobster), based on the majority decision by all employees.
-If are score is 90 or better I will buy a catered lunch (within reason), based on the majority decision of all employees. I will also buy pizza on another day during that same month.

I would love to buy you all lunch twice a month so lets do our best to shoot for 90! I know we are more than capable.
Please look at the SSS scores on the customer service board.

Name

It pains me to even type that! While I appreciate the sentiment, the misuse of words and missing words and punctuation makes me crazy!
The fact that it is from the store manager awes me. If I was the manager, I would check and re-check any memo that I was going to distribute to all of my employees.

Oh yeah, and while we are adding our gripes, another pronunciation of a word that gets under my skin is when people say that they are fustrated....hello people! The word is spelled frustrated...I don't know of any silent r rules!!!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:20am
post #97 of 102

Most of the errors people have been grousing about-not all- are pronunciation or homophone errors are/our, could of/could have, two /to/too.
I have a young Russian woman who comes to me for tutoring in English. I keep telling her to think about what she is going to say, look at the person she is speaking to, then speak slowly and open her mouth to pronounce the English words. She told me last week that many Americans don't open their mouths enough for her to understand what they are saying. That seems to be the problem, We write poorly because we do not clearly enunciate our words.

-K8memphis Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:42am
post #98 of 102

For the record, my request was for paragraphical-ness* simply to facilitate reading posts.
To facilitate communication.
(Yes I know ^^^ that's not a sentence.)

Never ever did the op, moi, intend to get PC about grammar and spelling. Not at all did I expect folks to start actually composing grammatically correct essays. My daughter has a master's in creative writing in two disciplines--when she was teaching high school and I would email her, it made me nervous although it was entirely self-inflicted.

So carry on with the tight assedness if you must but all I attempted to do is make it easier for me to read posts.

*paragraphical-ness--the appearance of paragraphs,
aka hitting the 'enter' key upon occasion.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:57am
post #99 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

For the record, my request was for paragraphical-ness* simply to facilitate reading posts.
To facilitate communication.
(Yes I know ^^^ that's not a sentence.)

Never ever did the op, moi, intend to get PC about grammar and spelling. Not at all did I expect folks to start actually composing grammatically correct essays. My daughter has a master's in creative writing in two disciplines--when she was teaching high school and I would email her, it made me nervous although it was entirely self-inflicted.

So carry on with the tight assedness if you must but all I attempted to do is make it easier for me to read posts.

*paragraphical-ness--the appearance of paragraphs,
aka hitting the 'enter' key upon occasion.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:59am
post #100 of 102

We know, k8, but it's too much fun to gripe about our grammatical pet peeves icon_biggrin.gif

Today at work a friend turned 30. Someone printed up signs and hung them all over his desk. "Your so old" and "If you where a car you'd be an antique". Ugh.

-K8memphis Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:24am
post #101 of 102

But not making fun of specific people for imperfections of spelling and grammar in their attempts to reach out and converse or explain or motivate you and ultimately take you out to eat.

It's far far far more wrong to make fun of 'the guy at work' or 'my boss' than it is 2 right fun knee spelt whordz with eenack q rut g'ma.

My other kid had/has a learning disability in reading. His IQ is higher than the kid with the master's degree who is currently in process for another master's degree. (Nobody can eat just one.) He could not read he certainly could not spell but his listening comprehension was better than mine. He overcame all that by memorization.

But the point is communication, exchange of ideas, understanding.

Anntee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anntee Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:01pm
post #102 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anntee

icon_confused.gif My dear K8, whatever hath thou wrought? icon_lol.gif Such fun!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%