Gumpaste Newbie

Decorating By z-effect Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 3:44am by z-effect

z-effect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
z-effect Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 8:54am
post #1 of 8

I'm brand new to using fondant and gumpaste. Hope this question doesn't make me look too stupid, but how do you attach gumpaste to fondant? Also, can gumpaste be put on buttercream icing or is it too heavy? I'm making a baby shower cake and the mommy-to-be would rather I didn't use fondant but she wants gumpaste decorations. Please help! Thanks

7 replies
janine1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janine1972 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:27am
post #2 of 8

Hi there

You can attach gumpaste things to butter icing, no problem - as long as they are not to bulky (for the sides of the cake)
to attach gum paste to fondant / sugar paste - you can use a little sugar glue, made either by dissolving a small piece of sugar paste with boiling water- or by mixing a small amount of gum arabic / gum tex with boiling water and let dissolve - use it sparingly!!

I hope this helps, i also know some people use eggwhite - but i dont like using it!!

Hope this helps

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 8

would water not work for sticking it as well? works for fondant to fondant. depends what want to try!
xx

janine1972 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 8

I know water sticks fondant to fondant, but im not sure it will work with butter cream - i used a blob of bc or spread it on the fondant thinly atthe back or attach whilst b.c is still wet and hasnt crusted over yet!!??

I guess you have to give it all a try to find out - lol

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 8

i would o for attatching to BC before it crusts, if its crusted, surely water would dissolve the crust a bit anyway so it sticks? i tend ot trysomething, and if it doesnt work, try the next step up!
xx

janine1972 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 8

lol brincess-b

Well the only way we will know is to try it - lol and i attached my flowers yesterday to a cake, just using small piped dots of b.c to the flower and then put it on the crusted b.c cake - and they were still there after delivery - lol

But when i have time to play again, then im gonna try the water on the crusted b.c and see what it does - im sure it will work - but ill play with it first before i do an order cake - lol im just better safe than sorry, and i tend to stick with what i have - lol but thats just me - will let you know when ive tried it
and you can let us know when youve tried it, then we can all know if it works well????!!!

Thanks

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 8

The weight of the decoration will depend on whether it will sink into the buttercream. Just like any decorating if it's heavy it needs support. If it's flowers or something like that, make sure you aren't sticking the wires directly into the cake or make sure they are food safe. If it's something like booties or animals, set the decoration on the cake if it starts to sink, pull it off and support it with a dowel in the cake.

I did a cake once with a die cast metal Tahoe on the cake. I had to put 4 dowels into the cake so the truck didn't completely sink. No one saw the dowels and I told my friends they were there so they wouldn't be surprised.

z-effect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
z-effect Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:44am
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much to everyone for responding so quickly to my dilemma. I'll be making this cake in a few days & hopefully everything will turn out terrific. I'm a perfectionist with a lot of patience so I suppose eventually I'll figure it all out. Many Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%