Need Help Using A Gumpaste People Mold

Decorating By xstitcher Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 7:35pm by tonedna

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:45am
post #1 of 12

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has used the following mold and if so how do you go about using it with gp?

Do you recommend using cornstarch/powder sugar or shortening to help release the pieces?

How do you get the back and the front pieces attached together?

Do you have to let it set for a bit and then remove and if so for how long? If you do let it set, is it harder to "glue" all the pieces together (ie torso to legs)?

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=527&SubCatId=211&productId=2152

I've never used a mold before so any and all help is really appreciated. icon_smile.gif

TIA!

11 replies
CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:02am
post #2 of 12

I would have to say use shortening... to release I would have to say bang it out gently.... to glue pcs together you could mix a small amount of water w/ fondant and brush the backs and join.. or you could use tylose powder and a little water as glue.. I have never used these molds but I have used letter molds etc I hope this helps

xstitcher Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 12

Thank you Sugardivine. icon_smile.gif

Would anyone happen to know roughly how long it would take to set up before I can take it out of the mold?

TIA icon_biggrin.gif

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 12

I never let it set icon_redface.gif

xstitcher Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 12

Do you think that perhaps it may lose it's shape/form this way, or is this the best way to do it? I know you said you haven't done this mold before but I'd still love to get your feedback. Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:29am
post #6 of 12

I would say go with gumpaste. Try using crisco but if it still sticks use a bit of cornstach. You can bang them a little to get it out or use a toothpick. You can let them dry making sure that the back was totally flat when you molded them, and glued them. If the seams dont totally meet. Use a little bit of thin out gumpaste(like a paste), seal the seams and let it dry. then sand smooth.
Same with legs. Arms I do wet so I can shape and shoes too.
If you can you can glue them before they are completely dry and add a tootpick at the waist and dry standing in a foam, the same with the legs, then when they are dry seal the sides..let dry and sand smooth. You can add toothpicks for the shoes too if you want to do it this way.
Hope this helps...
Edna

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:49am
post #7 of 12

I dont think it will loose it shape if u bang it gently..other molds I have used this method with have been fine thumbs_up.gif fingers crossed for ya! let me know how it goes icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:39am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I would say go with gumpaste. Try using crisco but if it still sticks use a bit of cornstach. You can bang them a little to get it out or use a toothpick.
If you can you can glue them before they are completely dry and add a tootpick at the waist and dry standing in a foam, the same with the legs, then when they are dry seal the sides..let dry and sand smooth. You can add toothpicks for the shoes too if you want to do it this way.
Hope this helps...
Edna

Hi Edna,

Thanks for all the wonderful information. I have just a couple of questions.

1) How long should I wait before taking them out (you said not completely dry - do you mean still somewhat pliable (ie, enough to insert a toothpick?)

2) Do I attach the front and back pieces before inserting the toothpick or do I insert one on each side (ie, a toothpick for for the front half of the torso AND one for the back or do I seal the seams and then insert one toothpick and let it dry).

3) Do you use just regular sandpaper (ie from the h/w store) to sand these down?

Once again thank you very much Edna for all your help and I hope I've made myself clear with my questions.

TIA

icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:40am
post #9 of 12

One more thing I forgot to ask you Edna was, do you use straight gp or 50/50 combo?

Thanks again to both you and Sugardivine!

tonedna Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:58am
post #10 of 12

I do the mold and take them out fast..

I like them to be hard enough to the touch but that center still soft enough for a tootpick to go in. At that point you just insert your toothpick on either side and glue them and let them fully dry before sealing the sides..Remember they still are not dry. After they dry completely then seal the side making a paste with gumpaste and water. Let dry again. Then sand with a fine sandpaper(sorry i dont know the numbers, but is fine), and yes just regular sandpaper from home depot.

I use full gumpaste, but depends on the quality of it. If it's tp hard I might add some fondant. But I like it more on the side of gumpaste.
By the way one toopick is enough either front or back. The middle is a soft point cause that's were they join, so stay to one side. Is just basically something to help dry them and attache them.
Edna icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:41am
post #11 of 12

This is exactly what I was looking for! The only thing better would have been you showing me in person. icon_lol.gif

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

tonedna Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:35pm
post #12 of 12

Hope it works well..and maybe others can give you more ideas..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%