Baking Shortening??

Decorating By gerripje Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 10:16pm by gerripje

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:26am
post #1 of 10

I have been looking for high ratio shortening in my area and so far all I have come across is some stuff by Canola Harvest (I think) that was called baking shortening. This was at a wholesale store and it was in a 20 kg box and the nutrition label said the trans fats were 28g as compared to Crisco which is 0.3g. Is this the same as high ratio or something totally different? I can't really find any information online, I guess other than phoning the company. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

9 replies
gerripje Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 10

I actually saw a picture of the Sweetex shortening and it has 3.8g(?), so if that's right then I guess maybe they aren't the same at all and even though I could bake with it, I don't want a 20 kg box of shortening! That sounds like super unhealthy stuff!!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:19am
post #3 of 10

Here's what I found on Canola Harvest:

http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/publichealth/envhealth/trans_fats/documents/Baking_Margarine_September_2008.pdf

It doesn't appear to be a hi-ratio shortening....

If you can provide more detailed info, I could do a more comprehensive search. icon_smile.gif

HTH

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:33am
post #4 of 10

I don't think it's a hi-ratio, just specifically made for baking---that is suppose to make cakes bake higher & lighter. Try emailing the company. i did this recently about a product that my Cash 'n Carry carries & the company emailed me back saying it was (it was listed as a cake & icing shortening, so you might try to find some of that.)

JanH Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:36am
post #5 of 10

gerripje, do you have access to a Bulk Barn? (They carry hi-ratio shortening.)

HTH

gerripje Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:41am
post #6 of 10

Oh thank you, that was very helpful. I haven't heard of Bulk Barn before. This place is like Real Canadian Superstore and they have a lot of restaurant ingredients and supplies, but I didn't find any hi-ratio shortening and I guess I didn't ask anyone either. The only other place that is close by is Costco, but I should do a search for suppliers in Calgary or something. You would think I could get hi-ratio shortening some where without ordering it online!! Thanks for the help!!

JanH Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:48am
post #7 of 10

My Costco doesn't carry hi-ratio shortening.

And as dandelion5660 said, don't get plain cake shortening. You want cake & icing shortening.

HTH

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:02pm
post #8 of 10

gerripje, just ask the store manager if they can get you some. That's what I did! They gladly ordered me some---no outrageous s&h & it was cheaper since they get it wholesale.

JanH Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 10

That would be great. icon_smile.gif

Must depend on how the store manager feels though... Because neither the Costco nor the Sam's would order hi-ratio for me. icon_sad.gif

The Gordon Food Service manager would, but couldn't find the product in their data base. Lucky for me that puzzlegut was kind enough to share the GFS item # so that I was able to special order my Sweetex. thumbs_up.gif

gerripje Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:16pm
post #10 of 10

That's a good idea! I will definately inquire. Maybe since we live in a smaller town, I could approach one of the grocery stores to see if they could get it for me also. I've heard of asking at bakeries, but we don't have a bakery here except one of the two grocery stores. I am dying to try it as everyone says it makes such a huge difference. Thanx for your help! JanH you always have such good and complete answers for everyone!! You're such an angel!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%