Favorite Yummy Cake Recipe For Sculpting?

Baking By Jeannie21 Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 7:24pm by Jeannie21

Jeannie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannie21 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:42am
post #1 of 15

Im doing a dragon cake for someone soon, and she wants to know what cake flavors I can do, but Ive only done a few recipes. WASC and chocolate brownie, and carrot are mainly what I have done. Besides that I wanted to know a really good one for sculpting a cake. Im always scared the cake will crumble as Im carving it, you know?
So does anyone know of some yummy recipes for me to try? And maybe even a new filling?
Any tips would be appreciated, TIA! and thanks for reading!

Im attaching a pic of the dragon I want to make, or similar to it at least.Sorry i dont remember who did this cake but it is amazing!!! icon_smile.gif
LL

14 replies
chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:56am
post #2 of 15

Hey Jeannie,
I saw a tutorial somewhere here in the forums for making a cake similar to this one, I can't find it again though (I'm still looking)..
but in the meantime, check this out
http://sdbytracy.com/dragoncake.htm

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:06am
post #4 of 15

I love love Serious_cake's yellow cake recipe from her youtube videos. I've never carved a cake, but I bet it would stand up. It's easy to make and very tasty.

Jeannie21 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 15

thanks ladies! Ill check out those links!
icon_biggrin.gif

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 15

I always hear pound cakes are great for carving. I have a recipe for a cream cheese pound cake that I haven't tried yet that I bet would be tasty.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 15

Just a suggestion, but freezing the cakes for a couple of hours makes it easier. Less crumbling.

Jeannie21 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 15

ooh that sounds delicious ddaigle!! would you mind sharing??

ddaigle Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 15

Jeannie...I'll look when I get home and send it to you (I'm supposed to be at work righ now). Deb

Jeannie21 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:30pm
post #10 of 15

thanks kittiskakes! But when I freeze them do i wrap them somehow? im always confused about freezing cakes, ive never done it before so im nervous to do it lol. any tips?

Jeannie21 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:30pm
post #11 of 15

ok, thanks ddaigle icon_smile.gif

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:36pm
post #12 of 15

Since you're only freezing them for a few hours, you don't need to wrap them. I like to use a serrated knife to carve out the shape. Once it's all shaped how you want it, put it back in the freezer. It's actually easier to crumb coat the cake while it's frozen. After the crumbcoat is on, let it come to room temp and then ice it like you normally would.

Jeannie21 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:14pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittisKakes

Since you're only freezing them for a few hours, you don't need to wrap them. I like to use a serrated knife to carve out the shape. Once it's all shaped how you want it, put it back in the freezer. It's actually easier to crumb coat the cake while it's frozen. After the crumbcoat is on, let it come to room temp and then ice it like you normally would.

Thanks so much! that doesnt sound confusing icon_smile.gif ill give it a try!

ddaigle Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:35pm
post #14 of 15

Jeannie....I looked at my recipe and it is from the Cake Mix Doctor. It is an Almond Cream Cheese Pound Cake. I have not made it yet, but I printed it up so I could try it. Google it. Enjoy! Deb

Jeannie21 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:24pm
post #15 of 15

thanks deb! you're awesome. let me know how it tastes if u remember! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%