Cake Business On Resume??

Decorating By CarriM Updated 24 Feb 2009 , 11:56pm by Monkess

CarriM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarriM Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:01am
post #1 of 10

Ok, I am applying for a new job and getting ready to update my resume. I became a legal home baker last fall, but should I put that on the 'work history' section of my resume? BTW, the job is not related to caking in any way...

TIA
Carri

9 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:09am
post #2 of 10

I would because different aspects of doing your own cake business can co-inside with other jobs that have nothing to do with baking.
Such as sales, paperwork, multi-tasking, shows responsibility...etc.

CarriM Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:12am
post #3 of 10

That's kind of what I was thinking, but I also don't want them to think I have another job that will detract from the new position... UGH! I hate applying for jobs!!!!!!!

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:16am
post #4 of 10

I recently had to deal with this too. I am looking for PT work and this is the 3rd year of having my biz. I did go ahead and put it on there because other than my cakes it has been 7+ years since I have worked outside my home.

Also, I do agree that the things we learn and do on a daily basis can be an asset to an employer. Turns out that it may help me because I need to show experience working with people and doing routine clerical tasks.

I would recommend putting it on there especially if there has been a gap in your other employment.

HTH a little and best wishes on getting that position. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:31am
post #5 of 10

I would also list it for all the reasons listed above. However, be aware that you might run into the type of person who MIGHT see it as a negative.

When I managed our warehouse operations and was interviewing for warehouse staff, one man we talked to ran an office cleaning business on the side and it would be after hours (no interference with our operation). After the interview, when discussing it with my boss, she said she didn't want to hire him because she thought he'd be too busy selling HIS business to work properly at OUR business. icon_confused.gif

Be prepared to discuss how you won't be taking cake orders while on the job, etc., in case they bring it up.

CarriM Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you all for your help! I took your advice and put it on there... I just found out today I got the job!!! I am soo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 10

Congratulations! I'm excited for you!!!!!!!!

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:11am
post #8 of 10

I am looking for a summer job and was wondering the same thing. I will but my cake business on my resume. Congrats on the job.

LovelyCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovelyCreations Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 10

Congratulations on the job!!! I was wondering what verbiage you used on your resume for this???

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 11:56pm
post #10 of 10

I would put it for sure..it is something positive and only shows off your entrepreneurial skills.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%