Zebra Print Cake

Decorating By cajungirl Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 12:54am by Rocketgirl899

cajungirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cajungirl Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:25am
post #1 of 13

I have seen some really cute cakes with Zebra print on them. Any suggestions on making the print - are you just free-hand cutting the zebra print? icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 13

I'm interested in making a zebra print cake myself. From what I can tell, I think they are just free-hand prints. But who knows.. maybe somebody has a pattern out there or something. =o)

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 13

I've made a couple with fondant, and there is really nothing easier. I cover the cake in white, and then take black fondant, roll it out into a long rectangle and use my pizza wheel to cut the stripes. I usually cut the pieces thinner at the top and bottoms and maybe a wave in the middle section of each piece. While I am "glueing" on each piece with a dab of water, I keep the rest covered with saran wrap so it doesn't dry out.

Alternately, you can paint it on with black food coloring, using the same idea. The stripes sort of taper at the ends.

Practice on a piece of paper first....you'll get it!

sugarbees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbees Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 13

How about with buttercream..no one likes fondant around here..what tip would you use to put the black on with?

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 13

I free hand cut mine. icon_smile.gif

lgrtaust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lgrtaust Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 13

I just saw on sugarcraft.com yesterday zebra print edible images that you can wrap around your cakes. They look pretty neat.

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 13

I;m not sure about BC but I did a purse with zebra print and I just used a small paint brush and free handed the stripes. the good thing is zebra stripes are very forgiving, it's hard to mess them up thumbs_up.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1310139.html

vcr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vcr Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 13

Hi, I posted a picture today of a zebra print in buttercreme, the instructions are below the picture. hope this will help! I try to add picture here

cylstrial Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcr

Hi, I posted a picture today of a zebra print in buttercreme, the instructions are below the picture. hope this will help! I try to add picture here

I just wanted to let you know that neither the instructions or the picture showed up!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:13pm
post #10 of 13

cylstrial.. Its in her photos!

vcr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vcr Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:20pm
post #11 of 13
cylstrial Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:25pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

cylstrial.. Its in her photos!

Gotcha thanks!!

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:54am
post #13 of 13

I did it free hand with a pizza cutter. Then i took an exacto knife and cut out some weird ovals icon_biggrin.gif

BC with fondant stripes and bow icon_biggrin.gif
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%