What's The Best Surface To Work On?

Decorating By pearlprincess Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 5:00pm by chrissypie

pearlprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearlprincess Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:51am
post #1 of 12

What is the best surface to work on when assembling cakes and decorating them as well? Also, what's the best surface for rolling out fondant?

Thanks in advance!

11 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:03am
post #2 of 12

For rolling out fondant, I like to use the cheap vinyl you can get on a roll at Wal-Mart. Put a little bit of water or a damp paper towel under it and roll to your hearts content. You really don't need to use much, it any, cornstarch at all. I prefer to use just a little Crisco if needed.

pearlprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearlprincess Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:18am
post #3 of 12

Are you talking about the vinyl kitchen shelving stuff?

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:27am
post #4 of 12

I do most of my decorating at my work island. It has stool so I canrest my bad knee and still decorate for hours if necessary. I use a silpat to roll my fondant. There no need for cornstarch or Crisco because nothing stick to it. I have several sizes . one oif my better investments.

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:32am
post #5 of 12

Actually I think she is referring to vinyl that is in the fabric department. You could have it cut by the yard. But since I bought mine, Walmart has done away with the fabric departments in my area. You can try Joanne's fabrics. They should have it there.

As for rolling out my fondant....I just roll it out on my stainless steel prep table (I sprinkle the table with cornstarch). After I roll it out, I then take my rolling pin and roll the fondant over it. Lift the rolling pin and unroll the the fondant over the cake. I use cornstarch to keep it from sticking. I have also rolled fondant out on just a regular kitchen counter top. Everyone seems to be different. I tried using the vinyl, but it did not work for me. Just keep practicing and you will become comfortable with one way that works for you.

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:45am
post #6 of 12

I use a silcone mat from Ateco with grid markings. I love it. Nothing sticks and it doesn't move on the counter at all. I always hated the Wilton mat. IMO
icon_smile.gif

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:56am
post #7 of 12

I usually work straight on my countertops, solid granite so easy to clean and nice and smooth to roll out on.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:14am
post #8 of 12

I got the blue mat, the silpat, and the wilton mat - only to find that it was easiest for me to just work directly on my counter (silestone) and I don't have to mess with any of it.

I agree with Serenatea....try to find what works best for you. But don't make the mistake of trying something different on an important cake!!!! Good luck!

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:11am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl

I usually work straight on my countertops, solid granite so easy to clean and nice and smooth to roll out on.

I've been thinking about just rolling it out on my granite countertop. I hate the Wilton mats.

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:06am
post #10 of 12

I use MMF and I have covered a board w/ contact paper/shelf paper.. the fondant does not stick at all and I use no ps,cornstarch or shortening...

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:57am
post #11 of 12

I think I am going to invest in a few of the silpats. Thanks Granpam! I normally just use my counter, sometimes I will tape the Wilton mat down but I hate using it. If I'm doing small detail work and use only a very small amount of fondant or gumpaste, I love to use the yellow Wilton practice boards. Nothing sticks to it which makes it very easy.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:00pm
post #12 of 12

Hello, I figured I would pipe in, just my opinion. ATECO makes an absolutely amazing silicone mat that is so easy to roll fondant out on. It is also such an amazing size and texture that you can just turn it out onto your cake and there is no need to lift and handle the fondant and worry about tearing it. It is a blue ATECO silicone mat 36" x 24". It runs anywhere from 26 to 40 dollars depending on where you get if. If you google ATECO silcone mat, it should brind up a host of places that you can buy it. I hope this helps. It has been amazing for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%