Oval Wedding Cake

Decorating By doleta Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 4:17pm by gerripje

doleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doleta Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:13am
post #1 of 4

I need to offer a wedding cake on our menu (I'm working for a new tea room)
I have oval cake pans, so this is the only cake I will offer for now.
Should I buy a pedestal - take a deposit- have them return the pedestal for their money back....
Or what?
Sorry to be so clueless, but this business is taking off and it is just a matter of time before someone orders a wedding cake.
Also, should I make my own separator plates out of cardboard- or ????
I plan to offer white mountain frosting with flowers on top.
Don't really plan on weddings being a big part of the business, but need to know something, since I need to at least offer a very simple cake.
I make lots of regular cakes, but wedding cakes are rather daunting now that I think about it.
Thank you so much for any advice.

3 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:14am
post #2 of 4

Wedding cakes aren't so different from other cakes really. Just more cakes to decorate. Don't let them intimidate you.

You can charge a deposit on your stand, however, if the cake will be served at your establishment, you know where it will be and that it will remain there.

I have done several wedding cakes and own no stands. It has never been an issue. I take 3 different size foam boards, cover them and stack them together so the sizes stagger. This makes a pedestal and is cheaper than purchasing one or worrying about getting it returned. Say if the bottom layer is 14", my boards will be 18, 20, and 22". Their price is figured into the cost of the cake. If covered they look elegant.

doleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doleta Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 4

icon_biggrin.gif Thank you sooo much for your reply!
Just one more question. What do you cover them with (cake foil?) and do you buy the foam boards at the hobby store?
Well, that's two questions...
I have never thought of foam boards which tells you how inexperienced I am.
I appreciate your time.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 4

Oooo, is the white mountain frosting a meringue type frosting? If it is, I love that stuff and made it alot and now the IMBC wasn't so intimidating to make.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%