Pricing Info

Business By mamasmith Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 7:05pm by mamasmith

mamasmith Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:11am
post #1 of 10

I am a fairly new cake decorater. I do if for birthday parties, family functions, showers and I did my brothers wedding cake. My sisters co-worker was going to get a plain ol' sheet cake from safeway for her wedding but my sister mentioned that I do cakes and now they want some pricing info from me. The wedding is this saturday, so I only have 4 days to price, plan and make the cake. Any ideas as to what I should charge? She is looking for something that will serve about 40 people. I don't want to just do it for cost, but they are looking to save money. Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

9 replies
indydebi Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:20am
post #2 of 10

If they are looking to save money from a sheet cake from a grocery store, don't even try.

DDiva Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:31am
post #3 of 10

I agree. Surely they understand that a wedding cake ordered 4 days before the event is going cost wa-ay-ay more than a grocery store sheet cake. Or for that matter, a grocery store wedding cake. I don't have access to my serving chart, but a 6-8-10 ought to get you in the neighborhood; especially if they're saving the top tier. Please don't short change yourself. This cake is advertising to the other 38 people at the wedding. If you charge too little you may regret it later. Good luck!!

leah_s Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:51am
post #4 of 10

I would do a 6/10, assuming they would keep the top tier. And the lowest price - all buttercreme, would be $140 plus delivery fee.

costumeczar Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:57am
post #5 of 10

I agree with the idea that if they're trying to get a cheaper price than they can get at the grocery store you shouldn't even bother.

By the way...4 days before the wedding? They were going to get a sheet cake from safeway? They obviously don't have the cake at the top of their priority list. And don't put their desire to save money before your profit (since you mentioned that you don't want to do it for cost.) Your cost includes more than ingredients, you have to account for time, utilities, boards, gas to shop and deliver, etc. (This is the second time today I've listed all that.) There's no way you could beat a supermarket price for a sheet cake and still make a profit.

mamasmith Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:42am
post #6 of 10

I may not have been clear in my original post. I don't think she is trying to get it cheaper than a store bought sheet cake. She just couldn't afford a traditional wedding cake so that was what she was planning on doing. My sister offered my services as a cheaper option than most bakeries for a traditional wedding cake. I was thinking I would offer her just a vanilla or choc with buttercream and basic decor, in order to keep cost down for her.

Thank you all for your input! I really appreciate it. My husband said the same thing about selling myself short, something he thought I was doing when I said $1.50 - $2.00/ serving. Do you think that would be selling myself short? I want to work something out that is reasonable for both ends here.

Thanks again ladies!

costumeczar Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 10

I'd go with the 6-10" combination and $140. Then add a delivery fee if they want you to deliver it!

Mencked Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 10

The pricing depends totally on where you are located. Her in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma, the very best decorator I know, and I do mean very best decorator I know, charges 1.75/serving--much to my chagrin!! She's been doing it for 30 years, has a great clientel and so that sort of sets the price for around here. I charge $2/serving for basic BC icing with minimal decorations.....but I don't have the overhead that many on CC do!

julzs71 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:04pm
post #9 of 10

I think it is very nice you want to give them a nice price. I think you should let the store do it for them. They could get two cakes from them and stack it to make a wedding cake.
The professionals have to compete with you the hobby maker charging so little that they can't stay in business. Should you want to continue and open a business you are going to have to start all over cause you can't afford 1.50-2.00.
This cake really isn't at the top of her list. Let it stay as stands.

mamasmith Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:05pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you all for you responses! I really appreciate it!!! I'll talk to my sis and let her know the deal. I don't think that she wanted to pay as much as I would have to charge so I'm sure that she will just end up going with a store cake.

I appreicate all your input and after I go through culinary school and get serious about all of this (I'm currently a stay at home mom of two tots) I'm sure I will be on here so much more.

Thanks again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%