Questions About Baby Shower Cake

Decorating By amytracy1981 Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 12:51am by sarahpierce

amytracy1981 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:11am
post #1 of 4

Ok my SIL wants me to make this cake for her friend. I have a few questions about it for you guys/girls.
What was used to make the duck and bear imprints on the baby's blanket? Where do I get it? How did they color the top tier blue? Is it pearl dust painted on? It looks like buttercream. Can you paint on buttercream? Or is it airbrushed?
And I am not to familiar with servings on round cakes. If i made this a 6" and an 8" how many servings would that be? Or maybe it should be 6" and 10"? And how much would you charge for this cake?
Thanks in advance for all your help!
LL

3 replies
costumeczar Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:44am
post #2 of 4

A 6" and 8" would give you about 30 servings, give or take a few. The cake is iced in buttercream, it looks like the cloud on top is also piped in buttercream. The blanket is fondant that's either been brushed with blue dust or dyed before rolling it out. The stripes on the bottom tier look like fondant.

For this I'd charge somewhere around $100-120. I don't have the picture in front of me, but the baby is a plastic one, right? If I was making the baby too it would be on the higher end of the scale.

costumeczar Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:47am
post #3 of 4

I just looked at the picture again, the baby does look like he was molded by hand. The duck prints were made with embossers. you can check on cake supply websites to see if they have those or something similar. You just press them into the fondant and the impression stays there.

sarahpierce Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:51am
post #4 of 4

The imprints on the blanket may be either an impression mat or small cookie cutters. The color for the top tier looks like they didn't mix the blue all the way into the buttercream so it gives it a marbled-swirl effect. I'm not sure about painting on buttercream. I mainly do fondant work. As far as cost, I start at $2 a serving and go up from there. Maybe someone else can help you a little more with that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%