Advice On The Basics Of Fondant

Decorating By KatesCakesBC Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 8:49pm by tastyart

KatesCakesBC Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 12

Hello,

I have been doing amatuer cake decorating for a number of years -- always as gifts and at the request of friends or family for parties -- I never sold any of my cakes. I have always used BC but am finding as my interest grows I want to do cakes that just can't be accomplished with BC and require fondant. I have never used fondant before and quite frankly I'm scared and intimidated by the whole thing icon_smile.gif!

I would love it if a few of you experienced and highly talented cake makers could share some of your tried and true tips on using fondant -- remember I know NOTHING and could use even the most basic of your suggestions - example - how the heck do you attach fondant accents to a fondant covered cake? I've never understood that one... Or how do you get the fondant from the counter onto the cake without wrecking it and messing it all up?

See - I could use all the help I can get icon_smile.gif Thanks, K

11 replies
kakeladi Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:18am
post #2 of 12

Have you made/used pie dough? It's just about the sameicon_smile.gif
Have you played w/PlayDough? Or Polymer clay like Scu;py?
It's all basically the same.
You just roll it out and lay it over the cake.
Star w/a smallish cake (8 or 10" round) until you get the hang of handling it.
If at all possible I suggest you take the Wilton class on fondant. They are offered at most (if not all ) Michael's Arts & craft stores.

brincess_b Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 12

fondant is brilliant - my mum used it on a lot of cakes when i was little, so i dont have the fear a lot of people here seem to. the whole buttercream only thing confuses me instead!
different people use different things to roll it out with - icing sugar, crisco, or corn flour, or on different surfaces, its just personal preference. id start with what you have, and go from there! (and leave time for this - i still get fondant sticking to my surface and you just have to grin and bear it)
covering isnt that bad either, it just takes time and practice to get used to smoothing it all out - if its for family hopefully they wont mind some imperfections. some people use a small coat of buttercream, some use a thick one - if your family arent sure about fondant, a thicker coat means they can pull of the fondant and still have a good topping. lifting the fondant is ok, i just roll it carefully round my rolling pin and support the end (same as pastry).
for sticking fondant to fondant you can just use a dab of water, or you can use icing, a bit butter cream, or you can get/ make edible glue.
always wrap any left over fondant super well!!!!!!! it dries up, then u end up with chunks of unusable fondant.
colouring fondant - go for gel colours, the liquid one will give u gloopy paste eventually. and its often easier to buy the darken colours too. (lots of posts on this topic). and you can make your own or buy it - personally, cause i have nice stuff in the shops (in the uk though) i buy!
kakeladi is right though - its really like playdough - i even try things out with bluetack, like roses and flowers when im bored!
xx

cupcakemkr Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 12

here are some different sites that tell you how to handle fondant:

well that's a start for you, I hope it helps a bit.

sahrow Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 12

I've been a family/ hobby caker for over 20 years. Before that I worked in a grocery store bakery (back then EVERYTHING was butercream roses... ucky.. no creativity... well, there were airbrush things that we stencilled on and put on sugar decorations... and occasionally a copycake picture, but since there was an extra charge, those were far and few between).

I had lost interest in decorating cakes for anyone except family until about a year ago. I looked at a wilton book and saw all the fondant work. My solution was to take the Wilton 3 class. It was worth the cost to see the basics done. The online tutorials are nice, but I need to be told and shown how to do things. Reading an d looking at a picture doesn't work well for me most of the time.

cookiemama2 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 12

I ROLL OUT MY FONDANT ON A MAT (FROM THE CAKE ISLE AT MICHAELS) THEN PICK UP THE MAT AND TURN IT OVER MY CAKE AND JUST PEEL IT OFF THE MAT. THIS IS THE WAY I LEARNED IN THE WILTON CLASS AT MICHAELS. I LOVED ALL THE CLASSES! JUST NEED MORE TIME TO PRACTICE!

KatesCakesBC Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you - that is all very very very helpful! I had one question pop into my head when I was reading: colouring fondant? BC you just stir it in but how do you evenly distribute colour into a dough like substance? This may come from my lack of knowledge of making my own fondant -- maybe it is easier than I am envisioning icon_smile.gif

I'm excited to try -- thus far I have simply forced the BC to make do for what I wanted -- I am hoping a knowledge of fondant will give me some more freedom!

K

Eisskween Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 8:42pm
post #8 of 12

Everyone has given you great information here! Just a quick tip. When doing a square or rectangle cake, do the corners first and then work the sides. Take my word for it, it works a lot better that way! icon_biggrin.gif

Eisskween Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 12

To evenly distribute your color, just add it to white fondant and knead it in. It takes a bit of kneading, but it will be uniform in no time.

kansaswolf Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 8:46pm
post #10 of 12

You CAN buy pre-colored fondant, which is really good for deep reds or blacks... Otherwise, just knead in whatever coloring you want to the finished fondant! If you make your own MMF, I believe you add the coloring at the beginning, but I just use my cream cheese kind, so I don't have firsthand experience with that...

doughdough Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 8:46pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatesCakesBC

I had one question pop into my head when I was reading: colouring fondant? BC you just stir it in but how do you evenly distribute colour into a dough like substance?

K

You would just knead it in. Depending on how big a piece of fondant you are working with, it can sometimes take awhile. But it will blend fine, don't worry...plus you won't have to worry about doing push-ups that day because it's quite the upper-body workout! icon_wink.gif

tastyart Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 8:49pm
post #12 of 12

For me, fondant smoothers were a must have. You can smooth it with your hands but it is much more difficult to get clean, sharp edges. I really learned how to use fondant by watching Sharon Zambito's DVD. I think it is called flawless fondant. It is really great. You can find it at www.sugaredproductions.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%