Sorry, I Need To Cancel...

Business By something_sweet Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 5:50am by chutzpah

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 6

So I have this customer, I know her personally through my husband, and she placed an order for a birthday cake for her son MONTHS ago. When she placed the order, she said "sometime in February", to which I figured Februry isn't busy, so ok. In the meantime I booked a wedding for Feb 14th and an anniversary cake for Feb 13th. When she finally got back to me on the date, it was Feb 13th. Even though I was already busy, I agreed to do the cake.
This morning I get an email, she is going to be going out of town that weekend, and was wondering if I could deliver the cake on the 13th to her mom, who lives an hour away! So I emailed her back and told her that I am busy and cannot deliver the cake... so she cancelled! She was like, "OH, I didn't realize you were already busy (like she was surprised), business must really be picking up!" NOOOO, you just picked the busiest weekend in February! I turned down other cakes because I had this cake (along with my others) AND I have already started on the gumpaste accents for the cake! I didn't get a deposit for the cake, because she is (or was) kinda a friend, but it is also a small cake, and I don't normally get deposits for cakes under $100. I guess I have learned my lesson. I will be getting deposits for all cakes now!
Thanks for listening to my rant!

5 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 6

Aww.. I'm so sorry that happened to you! Sending hugs your way!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 6

Don't you hate that?? I have a similar situation coming up and I wish the firend would cancel. It was supposed to be for Jan 25th but her baby ended up sick and in the hospital so I completely understand, but they rescheduled without asking me if their new date was okay and I wish they had asked because I have a big custom fondant cupcake order due for saturday and their cake is pretty involved AND it's a free cake. UGH.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:31am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetestthing

I don't normally get deposits for cakes under $100. I guess I have learned my lesson. I will be getting deposits for all cakes now!
Thanks for listening to my rant!

This is why any cake order under $300 MUST PAY IN FULL at time of order. Over $300 you pay the $300 then the balance 2 weeks prior to event.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:35am
post #5 of 6

I understand that...at least it wasn't for a larger order or oyu would have been super POd.

That happened to me as well, with a friend, luckily she was a good friend and paid me the money anyway. But yes, I learned my lesson that way as well.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:50am
post #6 of 6

Damned cake muggles! Will they never learn!?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%