Luster Dust On Bows

Decorating By gerripje Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 4:45pm by tonedna

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 12

Hi all! Now that I've got my types of dusts straightened out here, I brushed luster dust on a bow. Do I steam it to make the color set or does it matter? It's actually Wilton white pearl dust on a white bow. Or should I have painted it on by mixing the dust with vodka? Thanx!

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 12

You can dust it or paint it - your choice.
You can steam it or not - your choiceicon_smile.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 12

When I dust a bow, I just put it on dry with a (cakes only) blush brush. No steaming needed.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 12

I prefer dry brushing like you did, but occasionally I mix with vodka to get into grooves. Steaming is up to you - it will intensify the shine.

I buy my brushes in the art/paint department at JoAnns or Michael's with my coupons icon_wink.gif . (FYI: If you are looking for good quality make-up brushes to use for blush, eyeliner, lipliner, etc. but don't want to spend $30 each, buy one from the art supplies for $5!)

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 12

If it is just white pearl dust to a white bow you should be fine with it using it dry. Using vodka will
make it more streaky.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:48am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

You can dust it or paint it - your choice.
You can steam it or not - your choiceicon_smile.gif

I have seen several references lately to "steaming" fondant? What is it, how does it work, etc, etc? Forgive my "newbie" status, but I haven't heard of this technigue before and would really like to learn about it. icon_smile.gif

tracey1970 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:15am
post #7 of 12

ptanyer - many people apply dry lustre dusts and then hover the piece over a pot of boiled water (high above the steam). The idea is that it will help the dust to "set" and adhere to the fondant. However, if you put it too close to the heavy steam or leave it there too long, the steam could make the fondant "melt" and go gooey.

gerripje Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:35am
post #8 of 12

Thanks for the replies, I went into town today and got more pearl dusts from Wilton and got pastels that I could maybe use on some flowers. I ordered CK luster dust online and really like it, but it makes me to afraid to use it all cause I have to order everything online that Michaels doesn't have, which is alot!!

tonedna Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:50am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerripje

Thanks for the replies, I went into town today and got more pearl dusts from Wilton and got pastels that I could maybe use on some flowers. I ordered CK luster dust online and really like it, but it makes me to afraid to use it all cause I have to order everything online that Michaels doesn't have, which is alot!!

You will find out in a hurry that there is a lot of things that you won't find out in Michaels that they sell online and is so much better. There is another world out there!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

gerripje Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:22am
post #10 of 12

I so wish I lived in the U.S.!!!Faster, sometimes free shipping, etc. (You know, the important things in life). I used to think Wilton was the only brand and was the best. I like some Wilton things, but have found some be so cheaply made yet expensive. I am seeing there is whole other cake decorating world outside of Michaels!! Time to plan a trip to the States again, now where's my customs and duty brochure.........

tracey1970 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:40pm
post #11 of 12

gerripje - have you tried Golda's Kitchen out of Toronto? I don't live near there either, but I order lots on-line. The prices are OK, and they sell Satin Ice. I wouldn't order everything from there,but for some things, it's great.

tonedna Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:45pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerripje

I so wish I lived in the U.S.!!!Faster, sometimes free shipping, etc. (You know, the important things in life). I used to think Wilton was the only brand and was the best. I like some Wilton things, but have found some be so cheaply made yet expensive. I am seeing there is whole other cake decorating world outside of Michaels!! Time to plan a trip to the States again, now where's my customs and duty brochure.........

wilton is not necesarily the best..is just a way to get you started playing with them..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%