Chocolate Brownie Wedding Cake????

Decorating By Cakechick123 Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 3:23pm by Cakechick123

Cakechick123 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 17

Ive had a request for a chocolate brownie wedding cake. The bride send me this picture, I think this is a mini cake, but she wants to have a full sized cake like this. Do you think its possible to make a brownie cake like this?
I've made brownies before and they've always been quite flat, not even 1.5" high. Would I make three layers per tier? I think 3 1.5" cakes will look very odd icon_confused.gif
Image[/img]

16 replies
cocobean Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 17

riana, check out my brownie chess board in my pic's. It's the one with dipped fresh fruit pieces for chessmen. If you think that will work for you. I can pm the recipe. It is a sturdy, yummy recipe. My brownie chess board (I think) is 2" high. You could stack to make it taller! Maybe put a cardboard round between layers so you weren't cutting 4" tall pieces of brownie. That would be over kill.

kkitchen Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 17

I really want to know what answers you get

FromScratch Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 17

I don't see why not... you could use a tiny bit of ganache between the layers to make sure they don't slip. And a 4" tall piece of brownie couldn't be bad at all sliced 1x2x4 like a normal wedding cake. My only concern would be the edges getting dry... but then again my perfect brownie is the center piece.. icon_wink.gif

That one in the picture is definately a mini though... a 2-3-4 most likely.

Cakechick123 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 17

cocobean that is an awesome cake!!! I would love the recipe if you dont mind icon_smile.gif.
Did you bake it in a normal cake tin?

Thanks jk, just answered another question I had, so you suggest working on a normal wedding cake slice?

kakeladi Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 17

.........My only concern would be the edges getting dry... but then again my perfect brownie is the center piece..........

I agree w/the thought the sides of the cake will dry out. You could coat them w/piping gel to prevent that.
I agree that a 1x2x4 piece of brownie wouldn't be that bad icon_smile.gif No one says the guest must eat every bite put on their plate.

FromScratch Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 17

I was thinking you could skim coat the sides with dark chocolate ganache too... mmmmmmmm.

saracupcake Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 17

http://www.mysweetandsaucy.com/2008/02/mini-brownie-wedding-cakes/

I know this is another mini cake but they seem to use more than one layer for each tier so and then disguise this by coating the sides, could you do this on a larger scale?

loriemoms Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I was thinking you could skim coat the sides with dark chocolate ganache too... mmmmmmmm.

Or maybe drip some ganache down the cake? Oh man that sounds just TOO good!

How about a cake brownie type recipe? Would that rise higher?

Gale Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:09pm
post #10 of 17

Maybe have a miniature brownie cake for each table?! Just an idea.

bethola Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:09pm
post #11 of 17

riana: Your cakes ROCK! I am SURE you can do it!

Beth in KY

FromScratch Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:47pm
post #12 of 17

Scott Clark Woolley has a fudge brownie cake recipe floating around... I haven't made it, but I have heard it is good. You could give that a try too.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:23am
post #13 of 17

i use a vegan brownie recipe and it rises perfectly. it's on all recipes. it's the only brownie recipe i'd ever use. very easy and simple ingredients. i use dutch processed cocoa and it makes it really dark.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegan-Brownies/Detail.aspx

before you cut the circles out, however, i suggest you refrigerate the cooled brownies first. these take a long time to cool (I have been known to burn my tongue because I couldn't wait to inhale the brownies LOL)

HTH

cocobean Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:00am
post #14 of 17

...Here's the brownie recipe I used for my Brownie Chessboard.

Fudge Brownies

½ cup shortening
1 ½ cups Extra Brute (100% cocoa)or favorite cocoa powder
2 cups salted butter (melted)
4 cups sugar
12 eggs (beaten)
4 teaspoons pure vanilla
4 cups sifted flour
2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
Grease and flour a 12x12x2 square pan. Melt shortening in a 4 quart microwave bowl then stir in cocoa. Add melted butter. Stir to incorporate. Add sugar. Stir. Add beaten eggs & vanilla. Beat lightly until blended. Hand stir in flour & optional nuts. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Cool for 25 minutes. Turn out onto 14x14 square board. Turn upright when cooled.

I think skim coating the sides whith a dark choc. ganache like jkalman suggested is a great idea. Also if you were going to stack two, then putting a coating of the ganache between them is a good suggestion. I guess cutting them in a 1x2x4 wouldn't be that hard to eat. Thats a good idea others have said also!

This recipe is dense and yummy but, the outside edge does get a little dry because of having to bake them long enough to cook the center. (Use a flower nail in the center). You can trim off the outer edges to avoid this. It would have the same look as the smaller one (in your picture) that has been cut out with a cookie cutter.

This recipe can be cut in half or fourths for smaller family size pans!

My Brownie Chessboard won "Most Photographable" at the Utah State Fair this summer. icon_cool.gif

Good luck with your brownie ("cake" ) wedding!

Cakechick123 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:33pm
post #15 of 17

thanks for the recipe cocobean, Im definitly going to try it, but not for this wedding icon_sad.gif The price I quoted her is a lot more than her budget, seems that she thought a brownie cake would be 1/4 of a regular cake price, since its not a "wedding cake" icon_confused.gif

tx_cupcake Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:53pm
post #16 of 17

Woah now! There is another yummy brownie thread and I'm missing it?!? icon_cry.gif

riana, I'm sorry your bride cheaped out, although if I were you I'd make it anyway...you know, just to experiment. icon_wink.gif

Brownies make the world a better place, you know.

Cakechick123 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:23pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcupcake

although if I were you I'd make it anyway...you know, just to experiment. icon_wink.gif .

Im definitely going to make it, all in the name of science you know icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%