Topsy Turvy Problems - Help With Issues For Upcoming Wedding

Decorating By amy2197 Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 12:32am by josefina20

ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:07am
post #91 of 105

All this talk about a topsy turvy cake...now I want to try to make one! Thanks for all of the lengthy descriptions on how to make them!

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:27am
post #92 of 105

Thank you for all the advice on topsy turvy cakes

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:00am
post #93 of 105

wow, cakecakelady!
Your cake is AMAZING! I would have never thought that it was your first TT or that you were nervous about it, if it weren't for this thread.

GREAT JOB!! icon_smile.gif

...now i just have to get the courage to make one! lol

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:48am
post #94 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassyMommy

All this talk about a topsy turvy cake...now I want to try to make one! Thanks for all of the lengthy descriptions on how to make them!

I know, me too! I've never thought I would be able to or liked these kinds of cakes, but these pictures have been really inspiring. I am making a 3 tiered pink rodeo princess cake for a friend's daughter at the end of the month. She's given me the go ahead for the final design, so maybe....... I think that might be really cute! thumbs_up.gif

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:02pm
post #95 of 105

I need some advice from all of you expert topsy - turvy decorators. I have a customer who wants a 3 tier topsy-turvy. Here is the problem, never done one and she wants it for the weekend I am leaving for Florida. I told her if she wanted me to do it, I could not delive on Saturday (day of party), it would have to be on Friday. Well, the party is not at her house, so I wouldn't be able to deliver to venue. She said she could take it on Saturday, but I really have misgivings about that. What if it falls over, or gets messed up????? I have a real thing about making sure my cakes are delivered a set up, and look good. What would you do???

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:59pm
post #96 of 105

If you decide to go ahead and let her take it make sure she understands that if anything happens to the cake after you give it to her it is her responsibility. Maybe you can offer some her some instructions on the best way to transport too.

Is it possible for you to take the cake itself to the venue on Friday night?

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:06pm
post #97 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

If you decide to go ahead and let her take it make sure she understands that if anything happens to the cake after you give it to her it is her responsibility. Maybe you can offer some her some instructions on the best way to transport too.

Is it possible for you to take the cake itself to the venue on Friday night?

I wish I could take it on Friday night, but they won't allow it. The facility doesn't open until 8:00 a.m. Saturday morning, and I will be well on my way to Florida. When I originally spoke with her she felt like it would be easy to transport, well, I know differently. I can just visualize her daughter sticking her fingers in it on Friday night while it sits in her house. I probably am going to just decline, I would hate for her to pay all that money for a pretty cake for her daughter and then have a disaster on her hands. I realize that it would be up to her after I give it to her and the consequences would all so be hers, but I just can't stand the thought of that happening to her or the cake.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:20pm
post #98 of 105

I was asked to quote to do one of these cakes (fondant covered). What is the going rate per serving for one of these?

deb

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:39pm
post #99 of 105

I just stumbled across this thread. There are so many ways to do a topsy and 10 decorators will do it 10 different ways.

I use 3 layers of cake, taper the sides and slant the top. I have full dam and filling between the bottom 2 layers. I cover in either BC or a ganche base coat ( that gets veru firm), and then fondant. THEN I cut a small circle and wedge out of the lower tier to make it level, for the next tier to sit on a flat surface. I use bubble tea straws and fomecore under each tier. center dowel thru the middle and it is very stable; VERY stable.

HTH!
LL
LL

MomLittr Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:48pm
post #100 of 105

Sugarshack, so you use three layers of the same size, and just carve down to make the lower area smaller? What about the top of the 3 - just carve diagonally across or do you "torte" that layer slanted and put the two larger sides together?

What is your going rate on this type of cake?

deb

sugarshack Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:57pm
post #101 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

Sugarshack, so you use three layers of the same size, and just carve down to make the lower area smaller?

yes
What about the top of the 3 - just carve diagonally across or do you "torte" that layer slanted and put the two larger sides together?

normally just cut the slant and freeze the scraps for cake balls. but if i want a really tall, really slanty cake i will put the cut off piece on top of th slanted piece as you described. Just depends upon the look i want and mood i am in. icon_biggrin.gif

What is your going rate on this type of cake?

$6-7 a serving at least because it is very labor intensive to construct and has tons of decorating on it too. I am pretty much only doing freinds and families cakes, so it's usually free! LOL

deb

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:09pm
post #102 of 105

Oh I so want to try these types of cakes. I live in a small town and I know no one has seen the likes of these.. but I am soooo scared!!! WHich way will work for me?? Will it work for me??? What if it looks like crap!!!

UGH!!! I guess I will just have to dive in and try it. Oh, the unknown... !!!!

MomLittr Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 12:03am
post #103 of 105

Sugarshack, thank you for the advice. I like the idea of carving down instead of 3 different sized cake layers for each section. Wow, $6-7 per serving......this will be my first attempt and I think that would kill the order (she wants quote for 50 & 100 servings). . . . I was considering $3.50 per serving or just a flat $200 for the 50 servings, and maybe $250 for the 100 servings. Maybe I will calculate the cost of the cake using same sized cake layers like you do, then add for fondant and decorations.............then I actually have to do one as practice to see if I can do it!

deb

sugarshack Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 12:48am
post #104 of 105

right, MOmlittr, i agree on the pricing thing.

when we are trying something new, or just want the challenge, we often price it lower. then when u master them, and don't want to do them anymore, you crank up the price! LOL

Good luck!

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 12:32am
post #105 of 105

this is great info. thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%