North Carolina Kitchen Inspections

Business By trhiller Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 5:30pm by tannersmom

trhiller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trhiller Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 6

I am about to get my kitchen inspected in Wake County, North Carolina, and was wondering if anybody had any helpful advice.

Do I need a separate refrigerator and freezer?

Also, my laundry room is right in the kitchen. There are doors separating it, but do you think this will cause a problem with getting my kitchen inspected/

Thanks!

5 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 6

I am not in Wake county, but I can tell you that the kitchen inspection is not as hard as what you would think. As long as you don't have indoor pets, carpet in the kitchen (seriously, who has that anyway?), and well water, then you will be fine. Even with well water, you just have to have it tested. When I had mine last year, the HD guy (since he didn't inspect, I feel funny calling him an inspector) didn't even look in my cabinets, fridge, oven....nothing. It's a little scary actually to think that it was so easy. He just talked with me a little bit about labeling my end product, gave me a couple papers to look over, and that was it. I do cakes only. If you plan to cater, there's probably more that you'll have to do/have. I did NOT need a separate fridge, kitchen entrance, oven, or anything else.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 6

I just had mine in wake and the inpsection was much more involed than the one in buncombe county. The lady I had probably is on maternity leave now though. She used a flash light to look in all the cabinets for bugs (eww!). She wanted a seperate shelf in fridge for baking stuff. She looked to make sure cleanif supplies were seperate from all food. She looked at my baking pantry (i have those seperate from home pantry). Make sure tips and flower nails do not have rust. She will check water temp in kitchen and bathroom. No well water...She said my can lights did not need to be plastic coated because they do not hand low, but I thing bulb ones do need to be saf-t lights..get those at lowes. you also need frig and freezer therm.

Where in wake are you? We are in wake forest....
Good luck....

Julia

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 6

I am so glad you responded, Julia! It just goes to show you that even within the state, counties will vary. My inspection was NOTHING like that.

trhiller- listen to Julia.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 6

By the way...sorry for all the typos above...I just had lasik and things are a bit fuzzy!

Julia

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 6

I have to agree with April. When I had my kitchen inspected it was no inspection at all. We talked about labeling and food allergies. He never once checked anything in my house. He wanted to know if I had a thermo. for the fridge and freezer. It had to be set to a certain temp. No pets! and cleaning supplies seperate from food items. Must clean counter tops with bleach water. If well water, it must be tested. Once I recevied the ok from him I had to check with my county and register with them. I also applied for a business license. Make sure to ck on lns. too. Just in case.

HTH
Stephanie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%