Comments And Inspiration

Decorating By CristyInMiami Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 7:14am by tjrobin31

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 26

I have been a member of CC for a few months and at first I noticed the people sent more private messages and left comments quicker then they do now. I know there have been many posts about this but I wanted to vent out.

Every weeked I post pictures and think " This one is definitly going to get some comments" and then nothing. Maybe one or two people who actually take the time.

Granted I can't comment nor expect anyone to comment on EVERY single picture they just take the time to look at. Whether it be because maybe they don't have the time to write to everyone or simply because you don't like every picture you look at. I do however expect anyone who at least adds you as a favorite to leave a little something. Even something as small as "GREAT JOB" means something to someone.

Now before I get asked "Do you comment on every picture you look at?" I'll just let you know that, no, I dont. I always comment on the ones I add to my favorites- no exception and to a few others if I have the time whether I added them to my favorites or not.

Thanks to everyone that takes the time to comment on my pictures and on others. I know that your words, at least to me, are bits of inspiration.

To those that don't just think how much you like receiving them and return the favor icon_surprised.gif)

Thanks for listening and I hope everyone get encouraged to leave at least 1 comment daily on someones picture thumbs_up.gif

25 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 26

There must be dozens of threads on this subject already.

I encourage everyone to get over it.

CristyInMiami Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 26

I know there is, as I have already stated.

Obviously it shouldn't even concern you since you barely post pics and don't allow comments.

The post wasn't meant to anger anyone and no one has to be rude.

Maybe you have read the other dz or so posts but other people haven't, like me. I don't sit here and read everything posted daily.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 26

I understand what you are saying Cristy ... I say the same thing you say ... oh this one will get me a comment or two! But then I go back and see that over 80 people looked at my last cake, and only ONE person had the time to write something? I feel your pain icon_sad.gif

CristyInMiami Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 26

Exactly, sometimes I even think that maybe that one person did it out of pity because I didn't get any comments.

Looked at your pics and you have great work!!! Keep it up! icon_biggrin.gif

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 26

It makes me feel more complimented to have my pics saved as favorites then to get comments on them, and its even a higher compliment to have someone ask if they can use my idea, or ask for instructions on how I made one of my cakes, that's the highest of all compliments..it so enlightens me to share with others, especially with others in whom we all share the same interests like we do here on CC thumbs_up.gif

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 26

thanks Cristy, yours are really good too, especially your cookie work .... I like it when people add my cakes to their favorites as well, but sometimes going back and being able actually read comments like "Oh I love blah blah blah I think I will try that next time" instead of them just adding it to their favorites and you really have no idea why .... did they like the colors? the shape? the decorations? are they showing it off to someone else? are they incorporating anything off my cake into their cake? Know what I mean?

CristyInMiami Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 26

Definitely that "favorites" is also a great compliment and dont get me wrong I come on here and check to see if I have any new #'' all the time The Cakecreator is right reading it helps!

I am amazed with some of the beatiful work people share on here!

CristyInMiami Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 26

Definitely that "favorites" is also a great compliment and dont get me wrong I come on here and check to see if I have any new #'' all the time The Cakecreator is right reading it helps!

I am amazed with some of the beatiful work people share on here!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristyInMiami

Obviously it shouldn't even concern you since you barely post pics and don't allow comments.

Maybe you have read the other dz or so posts but other people haven't, like me. I don't sit here and read everything posted daily.

You don't need to read all of them. There is one STICKY thread in the general forum addressing this very issue and answering any questions you may have.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-423993.html

One of chutzpahs cakes doesn't have comments turned on because it was in a contest. The other has comment turned on.

CristyInMiami Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:49pm
post #11 of 26

Thanks Adven68.

I don't really have questions. I just wanted to let everyone know how I felt.

I'm not a newbie and as a matter of fact I already have read that post but wanted to write it also just in case someone reads it and gets motivated to write comments whether it be on mine or anyone elses.

Thanks for clarifying chutpahz comment thing. I didn't know about the contest thing. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:55pm
post #12 of 26

"Favorite" is the ultimate compliment.
Comments are nice and appreciated.

I derive my self-satisfaction from completing a cake I've not done before, from being proud of my own work .... my self-worth is internal and not dependent on what others think. Again ... comments and compliments are nice, and they are appreciated, but I dont' lose sleep over them if they aren't there. I'm happy to share the photo ... I'm happy when others look at it ... I'm hysterically delighted when it's a fave.

This topic has come up a lot in the past and it will come up lots more in the future. There is never going to be one answer that pleases everyone.

Which is why I'm glad that I'm happy internally! thumbs_up.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:27pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristyInMiami

And this reply wasn't rude???

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:47pm
post #15 of 26

Thanks for the links.

I guess my comment was rude but it was more like a defense. I know that the first post was going to be mean, rude, or nasty and I was just prepared to answer back.

Thats another thing (and please don't send me anymore links) but people respond to other peoples posts just to spark up some drama.

I would never comment on someones post with a "get over it" "or thats been said already".

If the topic doesn't interest you or you've read it 1000 times before then move on. I'm sure it will help someone else along the way.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:55pm
post #16 of 26

And if you don't like peoples opinions don't read them and don't respond to them. It works both ways.

CristyInMiami Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:06pm
post #17 of 26

your're absolutely right and I dont think you need to be so upset about it really.

I usually don't but since it was in reply to my post i felt I needed to respond. Its not like I have been rude to everyone who has stated their opinion.

Others have also posted that this has been posted before. Its just the way things are said/typed that make a difference.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:37pm
post #18 of 26

I don't see how asking someone to comment on your pictures will bring about an honest opinion. If you see something that really impresses you....you comment on it or save it in your favs. If you looked at it and it was just another version of hundreds of other cakes you have seen....what could you possibly say that would be another honest opinion.
Many of the cakes which have lots of saves and comments are not show quality cakes, if it is a theme which can be used for a lot of different occasions for a lot of people, more people will be interested in it also if they have some little twist to them which make people want to save it to try later or they feel they want to say, great idea and good job on it.

I agree with Indydebi....I know what made or didn't make my cake look nice. If others choose not to comment, I am ok with that. I sure don't want a comment because they felt obligated to, after looking at it.

Be happy with your cakes. Keep posting photos so you have a nice album. Enjoy looking at other members cakes...comment if you feel inclined.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:17pm
post #19 of 26

Am I the only one who posts a picture then seldom looks back at it?

When I get an email that I have a new comment, I click on it and read it, but other than that I don't go back to it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:21pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

When I get an email that I have a new comment, I click on it and read it, but other than that I don't go back to it.

same here. I'll happen to see the views/faves when I post a new pic.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:32pm
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Ditto...geez, I haven't even bothered to upload in a long time. Too busy!

Being a Gallery Supporter is nice though, I click through a couple of cakes a day. But never off of the main screen. Is there even a category for newest uploads other than on the front page? Sorry...don't have time, site too slow, and patience too limited!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:39pm
post #22 of 26

*sigh*

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:40pm
post #23 of 26

I am still pretty new and enjoy the comments but I do not go back to see the pictures unless I get an email and then I'll just click on that link and read it. Otherwise, my greatest critics are in my household and they are 10 and 13 years old. They are VERY truthful boys and if it passes their judgement, I feel good.
Boys scale: "Well, it's okay." = not a hit, try again
"Yeah, I like it!" = okay but could be better
"Mom, I said it looks good!" = good but not quiet on top
"Great job!" = getting an A
"Wow, mom, did you REALLY do that!" = HIT!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:48pm
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I haven't posted any here yet. But I have done my tinkling around my tree at acmecakes.com. And I am the head technician on three computer systems at work icon_eek.gif so I care not at all to do anything more in a cyber sense than absolutely necessary. Posting cake pictures included. So I don't go looking at 'em much either.

(I also dust the shelves but 'head technician' has sucha nice ring to it--aka only technician--hahaha)

I'm mostly happy the freaking page didn't eat my latest sage, well written and pithy response when I hit the submit button. icon_biggrin.gif

Occassionally a cake will catch my eye though. It probably was one of yours and I was so computer overloaded I didn't take the time--it was beautiful though--feel better?

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:05am
post #25 of 26

Here is a way that it will help you out. There are sooo many uploads all day that members may not even see your cake. Some members may not search for specific cakes during the day, but only notice the new ones on the sign on screen. These images change probably a hundred times a day. People just miss your upload I think. icon_smile.gif

tjrobin31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjrobin31 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:14am
post #26 of 26

i'm new here too and although i read the thread about comments and understand that there is soo much to see here that it would be impossible to comment on everything i was still secretly wishing to recieve atleast one comment anyways so here i was wondering why i wasn't getting any,
when i realized it was my own fault, i had accidently checked the box on my profile that said do not allow comments
soo i unchecked the box and actually recieved a comment
ahh, i will sleep soo much better now icon_lol.gif
seriously though it was nice to recieve a comment
boosts your confidence n all.. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%