Question About Sugarshack's Bc...???

Decorating By SaraClassic Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 2:40am by sugarshack

SaraClassic Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 19

OK, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this BC, but does it not crust? I got the softest, lightest crust and just wondered if this is the right cursting, or if I need to change somethign that I may have done wrong to get a bit firmer crust. ( I transport a lot and just like the crust a bit more stable.)

18 replies
SaraClassic Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 19

Ok so my 12 inheart with 8 in heart attached didnt crust at all... I mildly paniced... then I sifted PS over the entire thing making a snow blanket and crossed my fingers....I came back 15 min later, covered with Viva and smoother, and worked out the wrinkles, then blew away lightly the loose stuff and it pretty mucked worked. The icing is still very soft and the sides looked pretty good anyway, but that was an interesting idea I did. icon_biggrin.gif Glad it worked I wasnt doing those over!

dandelion56602 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 19

You can decrease the liquid or increase the PS to get a thicker bc that will crust better.

SaraClassic Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 19

Thanks! I added only a small bit of liquid and guess with the rest I have left I am going to add more PS, I just love the fluffiness. Thanks for the reply!

sugarshack Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 19

this icing crusts very well and really fast. if it did not crust for you then:

1) u need less fat or
2) less liquid or
3) a less humid environment or
4) shortening WITH trans fat or
5) a couple of martinis and then you won't care

J/K on number 5!

dandelion56602 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 19

But #5 is true!!!! lol. I love a really soft/light icing for cupcakes, so I do add more liquid, but it doesn't work so well when trying to get smooth & sharp edges---you end up pushing it around. So, if you don't need to use this batch for a cake, freeze it & use it for cupcakes

brownsugar1 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 19

Sorry if I am hijacking this thread. But question for Sugarshack.

I made your recipe a couple of times. Once with non-Sweetex hi-ratio shortening. And the second time with Sweetex (much better smell). But both times, when I get ready to scrap off the excess icing..the bench scraper pulled away the BC and left behind little holes..even though the icing was perfectly smooth and air bubble free.

I used my 5 qt mixer. Any ideas what is wrong? I will try to take pictures next time.

dandelion56602 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 19

Im not Sugarshack, but did the icing pull off the cake? Or when you're smoothing there were air pockets? If #2 that's happened to me. I usually just go over it again w/ a hot spatula. Yours may not be hot enough, that seems to be the cause of mine

brownsugar1 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:08am
post #9 of 19

When I am smoothing there are air pockets. I try to keep my pot of water at a simmer or just below simmer. Hmmm...I will try to raise my temp of my water.

dandelion56602 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:14am
post #10 of 19

Try keeping it in the water a little longer before wiping it off

SaraClassic Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:02am
post #11 of 19
Originally Posted by sugarshack

this icing crusts very well and really fast. if it did not crust for you then:

1) u need less fat or
2) less liquid or
3) a less humid environment or
4) shortening WITH trans fat or
5) a couple of martinis and then you won't care

J/K on number 5!

LMAO !!was having Baileys Irish Cream.... hmm guess you caught me ! OK so I live in FL, less humid is not a possibility, I used little Im going for less fat and the Martini ! Thank you SO very much for replying to my post. I am getting commercial property and would love to be a East coat Sugarshack, your stuff rocks ! Tell me when you deside to franchise icon_wink.gif

sugarshack Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:51am
post #12 of 19

Sara, sober up and please write down exatly what u put in the mixer and how u did it. I will see if I can find a glitch in the recipe.

SaraClassic Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:39pm
post #13 of 19

OK OK , I skipped the Kaluah in my coffee ( kidding, I dont liek coffee, LOL )
I started with 5 generous cups of short., then added my liquid about 5 T and flavorings, about 2t, creamed smooth, added PS ( 5lbs , sifted ) a cup at a time until all incorporated, scraped sides about every 3 cups.
Let it run on speed 6 about 5 min and was beautiful !! no air bubbles and yummy! Just no crust icon_sad.gif
Hmmm...? I do live in FL, so ppossibly a humidity factor? It was not raining and slightly cold out , so I just dont know.
Thanks for the tips, I dont want to use another BC, I just want to get this one right

sugarshack Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:18pm
post #14 of 19

what was your total liquid amount. I use a totyal of 16 TB ( one cup) liquid( which include the flavoring) and I get a stiff get very crusty icing.

You only use 5 TBs total liquid for 5 pounds of PS? That does does not sound right to me. That would not be enough to mix the icing all together.

And if it did mix up, it would be stiffffffffffff and super crusty.

Callyssa Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:28pm
post #15 of 19

I had a problem with my first batch too; I was TOO generous with my shortening! If you are measuring each cup individually it's possible you could have easily added an extra 1/2 c. to each by being generous, and that would have given you 7 1/2 c. shortening, hence, no crusting. Just a thought.....

SaraClassic Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:08am
post #16 of 19

I put in 5 T, and it just seemed to not need moisture, I thought it was so strange. I made it once before and it crusted but only very little, so I thought less liquid ( I used a whole cup of liquid the first time ) so I thought maybe I used too much. But Cally may be onto comethign, I did generous cups, so I'll have at it again and follow SugarShack to the T and hope I get it better !
Thanks So much !!!

sugarshack Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:23am
post #17 of 19

only other thing I can think of is was it zero trans fat shortening?

Cakeonista Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:33am
post #18 of 19

sugarshack Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:40am
post #19 of 19

Crusting is somewhat affected by liquid ( ie too much) but it is more a factor of fat to sugar ratio. If you have a 1:1 ratio ( one cup fat to one pound sugar, with an appropriate amount of liquid it should crust. (except the new crisco is causing problems for some with crusting and such).

write out your recipe and let me take a look see

Quote by @%username% on %date%