5 Cakes All At Once!

Business By lizadams Updated 15 Feb 2009 , 3:14am by lizadams

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:25pm
post #31 of 51

I hate that I am debating this icon_redface.gif - but seriously, steam is loaded with bacteria?

Moist cake is moist cake, whether it is moist due to thawed steam particles, moist from adding simple syrup, moist from using a lot of pudding in the mix,...

Moist environments make it easy for bacteria to multiply, I got it. Still, not thinking I'm going to sick over a moist cake - unless it's been sitting out for a week.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:43pm
post #32 of 51

And even then.. you probably won't get sick. Bacterial growth is opportunistic... it CAN form yes, but will it always form? No.

Still.. there are safe food handling processes that we as business owners have to abide by. I always thaw in the fridge. It reduces condensation and it's gentler on the product. I always freeze when completely cooled because then there is less moisture in the product and less large ice crystals will form and preserve the internal structure of the cake.

Freezing a hot cake will raise the temp in your freezer too and I don't want to pay for more electricity than I need to.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:45pm
post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

I hate that I am debating this icon_redface.gif - but seriously, steam is loaded with bacteria?

Moist cake is moist cake, whether it is moist due to thawed steam particles, moist from adding simple syrup, moist from using a lot of pudding in the mix,...

Moist environments make it easy for bacteria to multiply, I got it. Still, not thinking I'm going to sick over a moist cake - unless it's been sitting out for a week.

Then I would be dead cause I put syrup on my cake..and it takes me a week to finsh it and I dont put it in the fridge.. Actually the longer it goes by the syrup gets all around the cake making it even tastier.
Edna

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:51pm
post #34 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Still.. there are safe food handling processes that we as business owners have to abide by. I always thaw in the fridge. It reduces condensation and it's gentler on the product. I always freeze when completely cooled because then there is less moisture in the product and less large ice crystals will form and preserve the internal structure of the cake.

Exactly my point jeanne, thank you. icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:52pm
post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Then I would be dead cause I put syrup on my cake..and it takes me a week to finsh it and I dont put it in the fridge.. Actually the longer it goes by the syrup gets all around the cake making it even tastier.
Edna

You eat your own cakes? LOL! I had some leftover banana cake that I made for my FIL that had been sitting out for 3 days - it was still so moist! icon_wink.gif

Cmaysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cmaysa Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:53pm
post #36 of 51

Hi everyone, I'm a biologist and what i have to say about this is that, its ok to freeze your cake while warm. Baking kills most bacteria. remember that its impossible to eat something that is bacteria free! The minute that cake is out of the hooven, its contaminated. You will allways have a small % of bacteria in every food. Bacteria will develop in a frozen cake after it is to room temperature but so it will in a cake that is freshly bake. thumbs_up.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:23pm
post #37 of 51
Quote:
Quote:

shorty56 wrote:

honestly, if you weren't prepared to handle that many cakes in a day, you should have turned one or two down.

CakesbyCathy commented this note of contention was uncalled for... I'm 100% in agreement! That particular response stood out for me as well. I'm sure by now the OP is not quite sure what her question truly was!

Summernoelle, I'm a listmaker as well and find that it helps me stay on task and, in the end, actually produces a better cake. Good advice. thumbs_up.gif

edited for typo

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:26pm
post #38 of 51

awwwwwwwwww mannnnn, I guess the best thing to do is add "bacteria" to my ingredients label icon_lol.gif I should get me a microscope, I wanna see what these little buggers look like........

No, I'm not a germaphobic, I also eat raw cookie dough and cake batter. Just having a little fun with you all.

Thanks for the info Cmaysa! What part of Portugal are you from? All 4 of my Grandparents were born in San Miguel, I'd love to visit someday. They're all gone now, but I remember some great stories about their "Country".

Cmaysa Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:37pm
post #39 of 51

Hey kelly, if you saw what they look like i think you would become a germophobic! ihihih! What a coincidence i'm actually in S. miguel! icon_surprised.gif

sillyjodes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyjodes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:57pm
post #40 of 51

I'm a biologist too and would never recommend that someone tightly wrap and then freeze any hot food. I have harped on it before in this thread:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-610054-.html

MacsMom Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:10pm
post #41 of 51

...I wonder how many times a food borne illness has been traced back to a cake because it was frozen while still warm and thawed in the fridge...

You should see what bed bugs look like under a microscope! I almost never wanted to sleep again after seeing that! lol.

Cmaysa Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:10pm
post #42 of 51

Sillyjodes: Well as you said in your other forum post, freezing does not kill bacteria of course not. They stay inactive. What i mean is that a frozen cake does not have more bacteria than a fresh cake. The thing about freezing hot food is that the heat can increase the temperature inside the freezer allowing pre existing bacteria in other items to develop.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:17pm
post #43 of 51

Get out the popcorn....my spidey sense tells me some people are looking up info fast and furiously to support and debunk this topic. Hee hee....

Cmaysa Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:49pm
post #44 of 51

I just want to add, that i dont freeze my cakes. I bake from scratch and allways fresh. But not because i'm worried about bacteria but cause it affects the texture and structure of the cake. i prefer them fresh. If i was worried about bacteria i would take the cakes to my lab and criopreserve them, that should kill those little bastards! icon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:52pm
post #45 of 51

Bacteria are a part of life. I am FAR more concerned with mold growth than with bacteria in/on cakes.

And for the laypeople discussing this issue, you should note that "bacteria" is the plural form of "bacterium." I hate seeing errors in subject-verb agreement when people use the word "bacteria."

Bacteria are everywhere. <~~~~ Correct

Bacteria is on my cake. <~~~~ INcorrect

Thank you for your attention in this matter. Now you may resume your discussion.

LOL icon_lol.gif

FromScratch Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:01am
post #46 of 51

icon_lol.gif I think I love you Cakepro.

MacsMom Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:12am
post #47 of 51

Yeah, it's kinda silly, huh? I have to realize that it can be like debating Republican over Democrat - a strong opinion that is not likely to change one's mind.

Once you've searched high and low for the perfect recipe to suit all of your needs--great taste, moist, with the crumb that suits your preference (for me it's dense for carving)--it would take an army to get you to change it.

I've tried everything, and freezing a cake while still warm (not hot) was my best kept secret. That, and using coffee creamer in place of part of the water. Dense without being hard; dense without being dry. A crumb that sets me apart from store bought cake.

I suppose if you stick to one method you wouldn't notice a change in structure...

FromScratch Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:24am
post #48 of 51

I think too that it depends on your method. The recipe I use for chocolate cake doesn't like to be frozen if it's even a little warm (it hardly likes being frozen at all and if I *must* I overbake it just a teeny bit to compensate). The ice damages the structure and it has almost no crumb. It's gross. Well it tastes good... it's just not a cake you want to slice. icon_wink.gif

I think a mix cake (doctored or not) would fair better frozen than some scratch cakes because of the emulsifiers in them. That's just my thought on it.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:47am
post #49 of 51

[quote="Cakepro"]I hate seeing errors in subject-verb agreement[quote]

icon_biggrin.gif Man..I was born with a red pen in my hand. When I am sending email and chatting online, all formality goes out the window. No spell check, no punctuation, other than necessary commas and periods....and rarely do I capitalize. Sometimes, I have to check myself as to how I am composing my messages! icon_redface.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:52pm
post #50 of 51

LOL, y'all! icon_lol.gif (Please don't check Merriam-Webster for that contraction.) Teehee

lizadams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizadams Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 3:14am
post #51 of 51

Hi Everyone,
I wanted to thank you all for you responds to my question. I also have a full time job plus I do cakes on the side as well so trying to get 5 cakes into my busy work schedule all due on the same day is quite fun,LOL, not! I work 12 hours in a day plus do cakes when I come home so it can be hard to manage. But I did get it all done! I love making cakes so if it makes me go crazy then it is worth going crazy for. I found it very interesting how the topic got changed from 5 cakes due on the same day to warm cakes put in freezers develops baterica which I can't spell either so I probably got that wrong. Overall I did gain important information that I didn't know about. Again thanks for all your insights and comments! thumbs_up.gif
Dena's Sweet Delights
www.denasdelights.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%