Cake Magazine??

Decorating By winniep12 Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 12:56pm by emrldsky

winniep12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniep12 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 51

I was wondering if there are any cake decorating magazine's that I can subscribe too??

50 replies
aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 51

try American Cake Decorating....this is a good one with lots of fun projects and a vendor list for the products shown..

aggiechef Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 51

sorry, forgot to post the website..

www.americancakedecorating.com

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 51

Beware though...it will take you forever to get your first issue. I bought a subscription to ACD back in November and have yet to get my first issue (today is now Feb 2!) But I have received my renewal notice! Can you believe it! I received a bill telling me my subscription was up soon and to renew now at a discounted rate!...Yeah right, I just paid you for a whole year online, received my receipt via email, get all the little email ACD spams, but still no magazine. Even wrote to the customer service dept. and got an email saying I would get my issue soon, that was over a month ago, but what an insult to get a card telling my subscription is almost up when It actually, obviously, hasn't even begun! They won't be getting any more money from me anytime soon. And if I don't get my magazine in the next few days, I am demanding my money back.

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 51

I haven't been waiting that long, but I ordered mine Dec 31st and haven't recieved mine either....granted, it has only been one month. I hope I don't have to wait another 3!!! Sheesh! icon_eek.gif

BACI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BACI Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 51

cakesdivine:
I enjoy ACD & the companion Mailbox News! BUT I had a problem with them a few months back - wasn't getting the Mailbox News mag. as scheduled (but yes, did get a renewal notice somewhere in there). Be sure to call them back - they eventually fixed the problem (at first they couldn't find the subscription???? Wasn't my first year either) & supposedly credited me the missing months. It's just so hard to keep track of sometimes because it's not monthly & seems to come at different times.
Good Luck & Stay on top of it....

aggiechef Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 51

My subscription was sporadic too, but I loved the ones I got. My subscription was a gift from my mother so I never complained about it. Also, I think it only comes out every other month, instead of monthly. That may be part of the holdup on your subscriptions.

cakesdivine Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 51

Most magazines will send you immediately their current issue that is out, then you get the next one when it is distributed. I've never waited this long for a magazine in my life!

bellalex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellalex Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 51

I used to subscribe to both ACD and Mailbox news, but they just don't hold a candle to the info and ideas you get right here for free.

bubba01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubba01 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:17pm
post #10 of 51

Yes, you definitely need to keep on top of the magazines to make sure you get them. I ordered ACD and Mailbox News. I got ACD fine but it took 9 months before I got my 1st issue of Mailbox News. I think I called them at least 8 times and finally I started getting it.

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 51

It took over six months (after they charged my account) and 4 phone calls to the magazine before I got my first copy. Over and over they promised me it was "in the mail", and I would wait and...nothing. I finally wrote to and requesting they cancel my order & refund my money. I never heard back from them, but received my first magazine a week later (they have come on time every since). The same thing happened to at least 2 other people I know. The magazine is fantastic, but the customer service...not so much.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:30pm
post #12 of 51

Yep.. it happened to me too. I ordered ACD in September and got the first issue at the end of December...after Christmas (and the whole issue was about Christmas)!

I'm going to guess that you aren't going to get February's until the end of February. You can usually go the the webpage and then on the left there is a little sidebar and in the middle you see the Next Issue link. If you click that it normally tells you when the magazine is scheduled to leave the warehouse. I just checked and it's not listed yet...which is a BAD sign from previous experience.

Anyway, eventually you will get it.

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:40pm
post #13 of 51

I am happy I found this thread. My husband ordered ACD and MBN for Christmas (ordered mid Dec) and as of March 3, I still haven't seen either of them.

cylstrial Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:47pm
post #14 of 51

I just heard in another thread about the same subject, that someone called ACD and they were told that the Feb./Mar. issue wouldn't ship until March 22nd.

Smallfrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smallfrye Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:04pm
post #15 of 51

I love the magazines but the customer services needs alot of work. I have not got my ACD since July. I have several calls in and emails and all they tell me they can do is credit my account for the missing ones. I asked for my money back once and I got my MBN (only one since July) and now I have not heard from them again. The rep that they had working on it is always "out of office". So I have no idea what to do. I really like them when I get them. icon_sad.gif

cylstrial Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:00pm
post #16 of 51

Smallfrye, that is really terrible. Maybe CC needs to start it's own magazine!!

cakesdivine Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:02pm
post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I just heard in another thread about the same subject, that someone called ACD and they were told that the Feb./Mar. issue wouldn't ship until March 22nd.

That was me. I am still ticked that I ordered in Nov. They took my money on Nov. 21, I received 2 emails back that they had received my subscription order and a receipt for my subscription. Then nothing more, until I finally got someone, then I was told that they didn't receive my subscription request until Dec. 2 (bullpucky) and that my first issue would be the Feb/March issue which wouldn't be mailed out until March 22. We shall see if that is the case.

There was also a person on CC that was defending the publisher/creators issue. I'm sorry in this day and age there is NO EXCUSE for the poor customer service and poor distribution practices exhibited by ACD Magazine.

Smallfrye Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:07pm
post #18 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Smallfrye, that is really terrible. Maybe CC needs to start it's own magazine!!

icon_biggrin.gif I would love that. And I bet we would have great service and a ton of subscriptions icon_lol.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:59pm
post #19 of 51

There's also Cake Craft and Decoration, which is a Brisith magazine and has better projects than ACD does, in my opinion. Also, for pictures of wedding cakes, there's Wedding Cakes: A Design Source, which is also British.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:42pm
post #20 of 51

I looked into those costumeczar... a little out of my price range... although I would LOVE to get them.

I called about my subscriptions today and supposedly I will be getting both MBN and ACD this month. The woman was really nice on the phone... felt bad for her... it's not her fault MBN/ACD can't get their stuff together...

cylstrial Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:03pm
post #21 of 51

Hey Costumeczar -- Thanks for telling us about the British mags!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:54pm
post #22 of 51

There are a couple of Australian ones, too, but I don't get those. Maybe someone has the details on those.

One benefit of getting a business license is that you can deduct expensive foreign magazines as business expenses! icon_twisted.gif

pinkpiggie78 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:49pm
post #23 of 51

Yes... well that's all up in question now costumeczar... I need to find a residential santizing dishwasher... yeah home bakeries!

Smallfrye Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:16pm
post #24 of 51
Quote:
Quote:

We apologize that you did not receive the October/November And December/January 2009 issue. We are sending you a replacement copy. You should receive it in 2-4 weeks.

We verified the address we have on file is correct. We requested that your local post office track the delivery of the next 2 issues. It is also helpful if you speak with your local Post Master. This along with the publication watch could speed up the correction of any delivery problems.

Our records do not track the movement of mail but we will ensure you get 6 issues you have paid for.

Thank you for subscribing to American Cake Decorating.

That is the email I have recived since July. They just keep switching the months. The first time I ever called the rep told me that I would have to re-buy the missing issues until I asked for a manager or some one in charge (Never got to talk to one) but they had some one email me with a email like this. So I hope people have better luck with them than I do. I am going to try some of the others . They cost more but at least I will probably get them

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:38pm
post #25 of 51

Another good British magazine is "Cake and Su garcr aft". It only comes out quarterly, but has some excellent projects!

http://www.squires-shop.com/ibf/index.php?p=catalog&parent=179&pg=1

*edited to manipulate "that word," which is also the name of a business that we don't discuss

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:37am
post #26 of 51

I had received ACD for a year and wasn't too impressed. Just pictures, a project or two, and advertisements. I would rather just come to Cake Central.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:37am
post #27 of 51

Costumeczar, I just ordered 3 issues of the "Wedding Cakes: A Design Source" and "Your Dream Wedding Cake" from Global Sugar Art (both British mags), and they are amazing! I wanted to update my wedding idea magazines for consultations, and these have certainly done the trick. I probably won't get a subscription, but I'll keep my eye out for new copies when I want to treat myself!

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 12:01pm
post #28 of 51

Geez, thanks for the reminder. I ordered back in ?? maybe Dec when they offered the free stuff with the subscribtion. Been so long i forgort about it. But like you guys I haven't recieved anything. Guess a couple more weeks won't hurt. March 22 you say.

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:31pm
post #29 of 51

This is really sad, because DH got me a subscription to ACD and Mailbox News for Christmas (well, told me to go ahead and order it, anyway icon_rolleyes.gif ) and I still don't have it.

I thought it was just a delay in starting the order, but if the service is as bad as you all say, maybe I should just go cancel it. Heaven knows the money could go to other places. Hey, I could order that s*garcr*ft gun I'm craving. icon_biggrin.gif

Is it worth the hassle?

Smallfrye Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:25pm
post #30 of 51

I dont have a subscription to Wedding Cakes because you can get them at Barnes And Noble in the wedding mag area and sometimes I can get the others at Jo Anne's but those I can not get regularly but the the one at Barnes and Noble are always there. Hope this helps. And I hope all Barnes and Noble are the same. I have found them in 3 different states

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%