Cornelli Lace

Decorating By Peet Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 1:15pm by GeminiRJ

Peet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peet Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 11

What is best to use when making cornelli lace. I have not tried it yet but need to bake a cake in two weeks for our pta. I thought Valentine's and cornelli lace might be the theme. With pink fondant as base...

I use MSBC usually, is this okay to use or is BC better? And what do I need to be carefull of?

Thanks!!

Petra

10 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 11

Making the lace is not difficult. Start at one edge of the cake, make gently curved zig-zags not touching or crossing each other and as equally separated as you can. Ending at the edge. You can practice on the bottom of a cake pan of the same size you are making the cake. (You can reuse the icing as well.) This is fun to do. Practice a bit and you'll enjoy the process a great deal. And have great results.

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 11

I just did this for the first time yesterday. I used Indydebi's BC and it came out great. It was fun--you really can't mess it up--and I loved the way it looks!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 11

When I make cornelli lace I like making it in shapes more like what a jigsaw pieces would be and I prefer to work complete small areas at a time. The trick to making it look really nice it to keep it very small, that is what gives it the delicate look. You want to keep all of the lines really close together, but never touching. Use a very small tip. I use a tip #2. I have never used MSBC so can't advise you on that one. If it flows through the tip smoothly and doesn't spread once piped on....then you are good to go. When I use regular buttercream for this, I thin it down just a little.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 11

saap said: .......It was fun--you really can't mess it up-.......
I bet to differicon_smile.gif I have seen it really messed up.

The most helpful hint anyone can give you:

Strain that icing! I have always used a *new, clean* knee hi stocking. Place it on your hand like a glove; fill your palm w/icing; remove the stocking from your hand by turning it inside out enclosing the icing in it. Now push the blob of icing thru the stocking. You'll have perfectly smooth icing that will not clog you tipicon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1300910
It is also helpful to add about 1 teaspoon of piping gel per cup of icing.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 11

I do a LOT of cornelli lace. It's time consuming, and it can kill your wrist, but it's worth the bother. I use a #1 tip and the same BC that I use for decorating. (I use Dixie's icing for everything. It doesn't crust, so I don't have to worry about the tip clogging.)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:36am
post #7 of 11

.......doesn't crust, so I don't have to worry about the tip clogging.....

That's not the only thing that would cause the tip to clog up.

If you strain it and add a bit of piping gel you probably wouldn't have near the wrist problem you mention.

Peet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peet Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:44am
post #8 of 11

that is a very good tip to strain the BC first. I do sift my PS before I use it. Thanks kakeladi.

Have you used MSBC before? People here (the Netherlands) think the regular BC is too sweet. They like the SMBC much better. I will just give it a try. I am very excited to try the cornelli lace. It looks so pretty. I have not made too many "girly" cakes.

Thanks!

Petra

mavreader Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mavreader Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:37pm
post #9 of 11

Gemini, where can I find that Dixie's icing you were speaking of?

GeminiRJ Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:38pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

.......doesn't crust, so I don't have to worry about the tip clogging.....

That's not the only thing that would cause the tip to clog up.

If you strain it and add a bit of piping gel you probably wouldn't have near the wrist problem you mention.

I think the wrist problem is actually caused by the amount of cornelli I do. When it's just a bit...no problem. When it's almost the entire cake, the wrist really feels it! I almost never, ever have a tip clog. I will take your advice about the piping gel the next time I have to do cornelli using chocolate icing, however. That is simply too stiff to get a nice lace when using a #1 tip.

GeminiRJ Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:15pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavreader

Gemini, where can I find that Dixie's icing you were speaking of?

She has a wesite. Just type in "Dixie's Icing" and it should pop up. She has a sampler pack that will give you a good idea of her different icings....I use the original almond/vanilla and her chocolate icings. I was never a cake person, but that all changed once I tried her icing. Not only is it the yummiest icing ever, but it is a dream to decorate with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%