Recipe Dilemma

Decorating By Mildred1971 Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 3:22pm by Mildred1971

Mildred1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mildred1971 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 3

Good Morning All,

Need help on adjusting recipe -I am doing a sweet sixteen cake in July, it's three-tiered covered in fondant. The bday girl wants all red velvet cake which is fine, but I have a recipe that's for two 9 inch pans. The bottom of the cake is 14" round, 10" inch round, and top probably 6". This is the recipe that I use Dry Ingredients: 2-1/2 cups of cake flour, 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of fine salt and 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder.

Wet Ingredients: 1 cup of buttermilk, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon of vinegar (white distilled), 1-1/2 cups of vegetable oil, 1 oz. of red food coloring and 1 tsp. of vanilla extract.

I had a nightmare before with a cake "exploding" icon_cry.gif in my oven, I want to avoid that problem if I can-- I want to do a test run before the actual date obviously. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

2 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 3

The way I figure out how much cake batter to make is to make a single batch and then measure out how many cups it is. Then I figure out how many cups each of my pans will need. So, for example*, if my batter makes 6 cups per batch, and I need a total of 30 cups of batter for all the layers of my cake, I will need 5 batches of batter. My mixer only holds up to a double batch of batter, so I never mix more than a double batch. So for this example, I would make two double batches and a single batch. HTH

*Made these numbers up out of thin air.

Mildred1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mildred1971 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks, that was helpful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%