I Forgot The Order! I Feel Horrible!

Decorating By KeltoKel Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 2:53am by classiccake

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 17

I had a cake due for Sat. and I forgot the order. The lady called at 11 a.m. and I was speechless. For some reason, I thought the order was for next weekend.

I started baking immediately. The party started at 2 p.m. and I delivered the cake at 3 p.m. I did not charge her - even though she gave me a check. I told her I would not be cashing it, but she insisted I did. She and her husband were very nice.

The cake - awful! THe icing was too soft and the top layer slid a bit upon delivering it. It wasn't what she wanted, it was messy and thrown together. I would have just bought a cake at the grocery store, but she ordered an egg free cake and I HAD to make it. I don't have egg free back-ups in my freezer.

I am still SO upset over this. Sick to my stomach. I have had to take a sleep aid for 2 nights now b/c I can't sleep.

I know this has happened to other people. How do you move forward after this experience?

THe people were so nice - and even invited me into the party for a drink (it was a 1st bday party) but I was so humiliated and upset that I couldn't go inside - even though I really needed a drink!

My hubby was so great and helped me with the fondant decorations and everything.

Maybe hearing your story will help me see to err is human and I am not alone. Thanks for listening!

16 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 17

First, calm down and breathe. Luckily you had a sweet and understanding customer. And to you the cake probably wasn't up to par, but she gave you the check, which in my book means a satisifed customer. It can happen. I have a four check system. My daytimer (calendar), my computer calendar, a wall calendar and a white board that I write all the cakes and days that are due for the month. Plus, I call two days in advance to make sure there are no changes (circumstances can change).

Develop your own system of checks and balances and you will be fine. Hard lesson to learn, but a valuable one.

Now relax, no one died! icon_wink.gif

Enjoy your day!

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 17

Don't beat up on yourself too much, these things happen. You handled the situation gracefully and the client did not appear to be upset. Use this as a learning experience an try to figure out other ways to remind yourself of when your orders are due.

lilytexas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilytexas Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 17
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 17

I don't have a "story" for you, but I do have a (((( HUG ))))..... I can't imagaine how terrible you feel, but just think if they were not so nice.... OMG!! I have a calandar in my kitchen, and as soon as I get an order I put it on the date due.... ( Of course, I don't get that many orders! icon_lol.gif )
I'm thinking this is going to be a first AND last for you.....you will never forget again ! Pick your chin up and keep on going....... Your other cakes are GREAT !!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 17

Wow--just relax--just think, if this is the worst thing that ever happens to you in the cake scheme of things, you'll be in great shape!!!! Have you read all the stories about wedding cakes crashing on delivery, etc...... I can tell that you care deeply about what you do and that you take your responsibilites very seriously. Please don't let this keep you up at night!! No one died, I bet they got a great cake, they were pleased enough to give you a check.....In the words of my son..."It's All Good!!

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 17

Thanks for your kindness and support everyone. It sure has been a learning lesson. My husband and I have discussed better ways for me to track and hi-light my orders. Those note cards and dry erase boards sound like a good idea! I have always done everything on-line via email and calendars. The weird thing is I knew the cake was due Jan. 31 but for some reason, I thought I was a week behind and next weekend was Jan. 31! I can't believe it is Feb. already.

Anyhow LilyTexas, I actually responded to your thread when you posted how you forgot your order and now it has happened to me. Thanks for the link though, it really helped.

This is just going to take some time, but I honestly think I was having half a panic attack when this came to light. It really was a bad cake, and I think the people were just being nice. I just hate the fact of disappointing them on their son's first birthday.

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 17

((hugs))
You did make her a cake... and it was an hour late. For a birthday party, that isn't typically a big deal since they generally wait till last to cut the cake.

We are all harder on ourselves than other people are. We have a vision of what our cakes should be... they don't always see the flaws, or recognize that it isn't easy to make icing do exactly what you want.

She needed egg free- not the easiest thing to get! I have an egg sensitivity, so I understand! I bet the cake looked fine.

If you are really concerned about taking the check, you can mail it back to her with a note saying you can't take it, and to please remember you for the 2nd birthday party. She will remember you.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:04am
post #9 of 17

oh wow... just reading your post made me feel so bad for you. I can understand how you feel, especially about not being able to sleep. what this tells me is that you are a very nice and considerate person and that you can't function fully knowing you had let someone down. you need a hug so HUG!!!!!!!!!! I hope you feel better and move forward soon.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:30am
post #10 of 17

This has happened to me too - was actually for a rather large cake ball order. They also called at 11:00 am to confirm pick-up at 12:00 icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

.......and I almost wet my pants. I volunteered to deliver them at 12:30 and FLEW thru the fastest cakeballs I have ever made in my life. I had done a large cake the night before and another that morning (plus 2 cakeball orders) and simply brainfarted hers!

On an irritating note, my husband said "Why can't you make them that fast all the time?"

fyi: cakeballs make interesting and speedy little weapons to throw across the room. icon_lol.gif

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:10am
post #11 of 17

First of all, a (((Hug))). I didn't actually forget a cake, but rather the person gave me the wrong date. I asked her several times about it, wrote it on three of my calendars...yes, three, in my purse, in my kitchen and in my bedroom on my personal calendar. AND confirmed it with her.

I had done a shower cake on a Friday afternoon (it's the floating tier cake in my photos), took me a couple of days to pull it all together. The shower was that evening. In conversation at the shower that night, I realized that the person who ordered the cake seems to think it's for the next day. Absolutely confused and embarrassed I tell her I am not doing a cake tomorrow my daughter has a dance performance, your cake is for next week. She is know for kind of being mean and teasing, so at this point I am not sure if she is messing with me or is telling the truth. Turns out she changed the date, and didn't tell me. I am mortified and at that point could have just wished I could have disappeared. BUT I do stand up for myself and tell her I have it on my calendar and show her my calendar in my purse, and apologize. What can I do? I can't make the cake period, I already have plans. She is mad, and although she did tries not to show it, but I know she isn't going to let me forget it.

I come home and tell my husband what happened (he totally supports me, as is glad I tell her I can't do her cake due to my other obligations). I check the calendars, and every one of them has the date for the following week. I didn't do the cake, but I did do a smaller one for her for free after the baby was born. But I don't she ever really "forgave" me for it. I have always been afraid I was going to miss a cake, now I am worried I will get the date wrong!

Sounds like with this cake you had a positive outcome, even if your nerves are a bit on edge still. Take a few days to get yourself back into the groove of baking. Don't be too hard on yourself, we all make mistakes and hopefully we can all have such sweet customers to not give us a hard time when we do! icon_biggrin.gif

sunnybono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnybono Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:27am
post #12 of 17

First let me say that I am cracking up...the fact that you had to take sleeping pills and the recipients of your cake actually invited you in for a drink is just funny stuff. I'm laughing the way that one laughs at a hilarious part in a book to which they can completely relate. I too have forgotten an order and started baking the minute the customer called. I called my hubby and was speachless...literally all I could do is moan and cry and he thought someone died. He came home immediately...my kids were tiny so he wrangled them so I could get to work. I got the cake done and to the party in time, but I can totally relate to your humiliation. I needed a drink, and if it had been offered...I might have taken it. Two years have passed, I've lived and the customer has ordered several more cakes. You too will survive and you'll probably never miss a cake again. And if you do...please post...you have a wit about you that I think is funny.

FlossieJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlossieJo Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:36am
post #13 of 17

I have forgotten orders too and had to pull something less-than-perfect out of my......thin air. Look at it this way: at least the cake was really fresh!

Davina_Alloway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davina_Alloway Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 3:55am
post #14 of 17

I am so sorry you had to go through this. I don't have a four check system, but I do add them to my cell phone calendar and set a reminder for 2 day before the cake is due. SO just in case I do forget, I'll at least have 2 days!!! I like to have 3 just in case of mistakes! Maybe you could call them and offer to make another for another occasion free of charge. This way you'll erase any spread of bad world of mouth. And help you recover!! Good Luck!

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 5:41pm
post #15 of 17

HUG. Its over now and you did well. So be easy on yourself.

The opposite happened to me this past Saturday. I wasnt feeling too good but drudged myself up and went through the motions for a cakfe for 150. It was a terror getting it done for 5pm but I managed and called the person at my church, for which I had been requested to donate a cake.
The person who cordinated with me said okay great it will be ready for pick up and then called me back 5 mins later, "You mean it IS ready for pick up?" I said "well...yes"
Not liking the sound of this I asked him what was wrong, to which he started apologising profusely saying the cake was actually for NEXT sat.!!grrrrrrr....so here i am having to make another cake for this saturday. Since it is my church, I didnt ask for compenssation towards the cost of food etc. but i just wish people were a tad more organized. so you see it is not always we who screw up...hope this made you feel better!

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 6:04pm
post #16 of 17

First...let me say I am so impressed that you have a eggless recipe!!
Really, you did well and I would not cash the check either.
I have a cake decorator friend that wrote down the wrong day for a friday wedding she had it down for saturday and completely missed it!!
I use a bulletin board and I keep them hanging on the board untill they are done, as well as in my computer.
Make her your best cinnamon rolls and a sweet card or cookies something unexpected and maybe it will help you get over it. But sounds like they were great about it.
Take care!

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:53am
post #17 of 17

I have an order book and everything filed by date. I bought the tab separators at the office supply that have the months, then bought the number ones also. So my books have everyday in a tab. Then I file the order on the correct date. All I have to do is open the book to see the orders for each day. Just make sure they are filed correctly....talking from experience!! icon_redface.gif

Also, never rely on "I want a cake for next Saturday. Always repeat the date they are ordering the cake..."do you mean Saturday the 7th or Saturday the 14th?"

We have ALL made mistakes and this is where we learn the hard way.

Keep going!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%