Smooth Fondant On Styrofoam

Decorating By skatesusy Updated 27 Jun 2013 , 2:39pm by KateCoughlin

skatesusy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skatesusy Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 6

I am having extreme difficulty when I cover styrofoam with fondant. For example, I had to do a moon in styrofoam and cover in fondant. I tried a number of times to get it smooth and just couldn't. When I looked at the 2009 Storybook Winner today - she noted that she covered a round styrofoam ball and it looks absolutely perfect. Are there any tips in doing it well???
Thanking you in advance!
Susy

5 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 6

Have you tried sanding your styrofoam with a small block of styrofoam to get it very smooth? I also roll out my fondant for covering styrofoam quite thick, and I use thinned piping gel on the styrofoam to get the fondant to adhere to it well.

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 6

Try covering the styrofoam in press and seal wrap or plastic wrap.

Plus it makes the fondant come off easier so you can reuse the styrofoam.

HTH

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 6

If you don't have piping gel, corn syrup thinned with water works to help the fondant adhere also.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 6

I sand my styro with fine grit sandpaper, wash it off and let it dry well. I then rub it liberally with crisco. I cover the dummy with a medium thickness of white Wilton fondant and smooth it. I then rub that fondant layer with more crisco and put on the 2nd, final layer of fondant that is generally pretty thin.

Using this method on dummies, I've been extremely pleased with the results. The surface is virtually flawless. The crisco fills in any small divots in the styro.

To clean off the dummy, I nuke it or put it in a warm oven for a very short time (until I can press my finger into the fondant easily) and then I peel it off. I recycle dummies all of the time.

HTH
Rae

KateCoughlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateCoughlin Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 6

Great tips Rae!  I'm going to try your method to make a balloon.  My first attempt wasn't terrible but it doesn't look nearly as perfect as some of the balloons I've seen here.  I was using Crisco to smooth any creases after wrapping the balloon but it makes perfect sense to use it as filler underneath.  Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%