I Can't Deliver A Cake

Decorating By londonpeach Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 9:30pm by -Tubbs

londonpeach Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:59am
post #1 of 29

It's not really a disaster but i''m bored so thought i'd write on the forum.
I've made my friends daughter a cake for her 18th birthday (which is today) and woke up this morning to see our road covered in snow and we're being advised not to drive unless we really need to, we live in a dead end road at the bottom of a hill so it is a bit dangerous. (the road gritters miss us)

My friends roads are also really bad so she's not going out today, (i know...we get a little bit of snow in the UK and everything comes to a halt icon_redface.gif )

My real problem is I was hopeing for a slice of cake to eat tonight icon_razz.gif

28 replies
ngfcake Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 29

Sorry you can't deliver your cake today. So much work and they won't see it. There is snow here too! The forecast is more snow for UK today, so what about a cup of hot chocolate and a slice of cake?

Magnum Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 29

I'm in Birmingham UK and we're nearly snowed in right now. We seem to get missed by the gritters too.
Don't you think its funny that they give us a weeks warning, yet don't grit? lol

karenm0712 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 29

Oh you poor thing! I know that feeling. Anything else sweet in your house that you can eat to satisfy your craving? I know nothing beats cake, but maybe - just maybe something sweet will take your mind off of the cake! icon_wink.gif

londonpeach Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 29

Nooooo, I can't eat anything else...I'm trying to do a healthy eating diet so i've had an orange instead icon_cry.gif

I just feel bad coz it was finished yesterday so i could have took it but i wanted to see her on her birthday....I was going to get her birthday card today as well so i feel really bad.

And i want a slice of cake icon_razz.gif

MnSnow Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:33pm
post #6 of 29

Maybe by thie afternoon, the roads will be clear. I know when it snows here, usually by afternoon our roads are passable. If they get better, you can still deliver the cake, have a piece and see the birthday girl!

londonpeach Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 29

Oh well, it's still snowing, don't look like our roads are going to clear. It would be ok if I only had to use the main roads but we both live on side roads.
No cake for me today icon_cry.gif

Bonnie151 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 29

Yeah, I'm in Livingston and was nearly snowed in this afternoon. I have a delivery tomorrow morning through in Edinburgh and we're supposed to get more snow overnight. I'm really dreading tomorrow!

Ayanami Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 29

I'm such a Yankee! icon_razz.gif I couldn't figure out what in the hell you were talking about "gritters" until Magnum said

Quote:
Quote:

Don't you think its funny that they give us a weeks warning, yet don't grit? lol

icon_lol.gif Snow Plow!? (We call them plow trucks.) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif sigh. Just laughing at myself here. icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

londonpeach Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 29

icon_lol.gif a snow plough would be good here, it would clear my road so i can get on the main roads...gritters just spread grit over the roads befor the snow comes...but they don't do my area.

I should have taken the cake last night when i finished it icon_cry.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm
post #11 of 29

Here in Canada we call them sanding trucks..they throw pea sized gravel mixed with road salt on the roads to try and melt them a bit before they grate them off!! Love the UK terms though!!! icon_smile.gif

sugarsistergrace Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:54pm
post #12 of 29

Sorry that your driveway is full of snow. I am in Escondido, California, USA. The temperature at present is 75 degrees, the sun is shining and there never is snow unless we go up to the mountains about 45 minutes away.

Our biggest problem is heat affecting our cakes. I was delivering a tiered cake with cream filling and while going over hilly terrain the top two tiers slid in opposite directions. I was able to correct it after arrival but it was tricky.

As to your sweet tooth, try a teaspoon of honey. That usually does the job for me.

londonpeach Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:17pm
post #13 of 29

icon_surprised.gif I want some of your sun sugarsistergrace.

I know what you mean about the heat and cakes....I hate using fondant and making sugar flowers in the smmer, everything is so sticky.

As for my sweet tooth my son has gone to the garage to get me a pack of Maltesers icon_razz.gif

Ayanami Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:47pm
post #14 of 29

Londonpeach :

Quote:
Quote:

snow plough would be good here, it would clear my road so i can get on the main roads...gritters just spread grit over the roads befor the snow comes...but they don't do my area.

For us it's a "one truck fits all" kinda thing. Our dept of transportaion trucks have plows on the front (which they never lower by the way icon_confused.gif ) & spreader on the back. We get a lovely mixture of salt & sand thrown all over our roads & that's about it. icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks DOT! thumbsdown.gif

Deb_ Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:56am
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonpeach

icon_surprised.gif I want some of your sun sugarsistergrace.

I know what you mean about the heat and cakes....I hate using fondant and making sugar flowers in the smmer, everything is so sticky.

As for my sweet tooth my son has gone to the garage to get me a pack of Maltesers icon_razz.gif

OK after reading this I now know what a "gritter" is but now may I ask what is a "Maltesers"?

My niece is in Stirling Scotland, I wonder if she had snow too icon_rolleyes.gif I love conversing with you cakesisters "across the pond" icon_lol.gif

shiney Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:44am
post #16 of 29

dkelly27, Maltesers are malted milk balls, at the moment I can't think of what we call them here.

miss_sweetstory Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:07pm
post #17 of 29

Whoppers! (I'm relieved that I remember, sometimes I think I'm forgetting my American english!)

School for my kids was called off today...for an inch of snow. The Minnesotan in me is laughing hysterically. (But in defense of the southern portion of the UK, there just isn't enough snow annually to warrant the equipment to effectively grit/sand.)

OP, so sorry that you couldn't deliver that cake...and that you are stuck looking at it without the pleasure of a sample!

Magnum Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:24pm
post #18 of 29

I read in the paper today that yesterday alone cost the British economy upwards of £1.6 BILLION. I'm not in the salt game but wouldn't it have been cheaper to get some salt and grit? lol
AND its going to get worse, they anticipate all the snow turning to ice tommorow. I remember a few years ago when the whole of the uk turned to ice and non of the public transport was running. I really had to cling onto peoples gates and slide myself home ( and i catch 2 buses home) lol

Relznik Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:26pm
post #19 of 29

I'm in N.E. Greater London. My boys' school was closed yesterday and is closed again today.

Dh went into work for a short while yesterday, but I made him go to the supermarket on the way home 'cause I had no butter or eggs for a cake I needed to bake!!!!

I've just started the cake that's supposed to be collected tomorrow. I wonder if I should have checked with the customer first that she can get to me!? She's coming from somewhere out in Essex.

I did think about it, but didn't want to give her the opportunity to try and back out of the order icon_redface.gif .

I sent her a text this morning asking her what time she'd like to collect it tomorrow, but I haven't heard back from her yet. Eeek!!!!!!

Relznik Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:48pm
post #20 of 29

Phew! She just texted me back to say she's coming at midday!!!!

Relznik Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:27pm
post #21 of 29

Just came across Candy Melts here, too:

http://www.sugarshack.co.uk/category/87/Edibles

shiney Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:36pm
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sweetstory

Whoppers! (I'm relieved that I remember, sometimes I think I'm forgetting my American english!)

Miss: I know what you mean, sometimes I have to stop and think, and I know I got it wrong when folks look at me like I'm growing something out of my head! I'm an american, lived in UK for many years, now back in States. Now, this is sad, My daughter has a new Mini Cooper, and I was trying to find how to open the hood in the owner's manual. It was making me crazy it wasn't in the manual!! Then I went, Duh, you goofball, look under bonnet! Me of all people should have known that from the start!

Win Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:50pm
post #23 of 29

LondonPeach... all the snow in the UK got international attention!!! I thought of you when I saw it on the news.

I live in Kentucky. Last week, we got three inches of ice -then three inches of snow on top of that. Our electrical lines started crashing down and our electricity went off for days. My home dropped to an internal temp of 46 degrees! I was freezing and am just now starting to thaw out. Even today, Tuesday, not all homes have electricity (one week later.) The worst part was that I have an electric stove. If it had been gas, I could have been making cake and staying warm!

Anyway, here's wishing you warm blessings from across the big pond!

Relznik Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:56pm
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

Just came across Candy Melts here, too:

http://www.sugarshack.co.uk/category/87/Edibles

OOoookaaaay... I'm thinking I posted this in the wrong thread? icon_redface.gif

londonpeach Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:46pm
post #25 of 29

Well dkelly27, Maltesers are small honeycombe balls covered in milk chocolate icon_razz.gif they are delicious and their motto is 'the honeycombe middle that weighs so litte' so not as fattening as a slice of cake icon_lol.gif

Now I fell bad moaning about my little bit of snow when I hear your story Win, we still got electric and heating so i'll stop moaning..exept that they're saying we're going to get more snow Thurs and Fri, not good as i go into hospital on thursday for an op and am hopeing they don't cancel it.
I'm having an op on my shoulder...no cake decorating for a while icon_cry.gif

Still, I delivered my cake today to my friend, our roads were still quite bad so we met in the middle She loved the cake icon_biggrin.gif

shiney Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:58pm
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonpeach

Well dkelly27, Maltesers are small honeycombe balls covered in milk chocolate icon_razz.gif they are delicious and their motto is 'the honeycombe middle that weighs so litte' so not as fattening as a slice of cake icon_lol.gif

Londonpeach: I think you would understand my logic of Aeros, all them bubbles aren't fatening!! Funny to hear y'all talk about the snow, goes hand in hand with the leaves on the train tracks!! icon_wink.gif

londonpeach Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 8:50pm
post #27 of 29

I agree wih you shiney....aeros are not fattening, there's nothing of them icon_wink.gif

Well I thought i'd let you see my finished cake, i put the wire decorations in for the pic then took them out again to deliver so they're not spread out as nice as i would like icon_rolleyes.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1310350.html

ngfcake Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:47pm
post #28 of 29

londonpeach, your cake is beautiful! Your friend will be thrilled when she finally sees it!

-Tubbs Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:30pm
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Here in Canada we call them sanding trucks..they throw pea sized gravel ... Love the UK terms though!!! icon_smile.gif

Hi, neighbour!
Yep, the lovely gravel - all the better to chip your windshield when the thaw finally comes (May?)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%