Please Help Me Plan An Adult Cookie Decorating Party!

Baking By andpotts Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 4:01am by andpotts

andpotts Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:15am
post #1 of 7

Ok so I am having a group of friends over next weekend in the hopes of turning them on to the joys of cookie baking and decoratingdecorating. The theme will be Valentine's cookies and we will have about 4 hours. I will make up all of the icing in advance (I use glace) I would also like to show them some different packaging ideas so they can make gifts for teachers and stuff.

Has anyone done this I need ideas for how to make it all run smoothly.

Should I bake all of the cookies in advance or let them get some experience with rolling, baking, etc. Should I plan a specific follow along project and then let them have free decorating time?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! T/Y Andrea

6 replies
SweetPea0613 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:33am
post #2 of 7

Maybe you can have a bunch baked already and a few decorated as examples. But you can also show them how to make the dough and roll it out and stuff. It'll be like you have your own show on tv..lol the cookies are magically baked in two seconds!

As for presentation and wrapping them....I hope someone else can help you with that.

Good luck!! Post pix when ur done icon_biggrin.gif

Bakki Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:58am
post #3 of 7

I agree with Sweet Pea there & I think ppl really enjoy it when they get to make their own creations so maybe have a set project but have it so its open for experimentation to decorate! Make sure that there's room for them to play with different mediums /colours / Allow them to design their own thing. So have some premade mini love hearts &/or Cutters & red & white icing ready to go, Piping bags made from Greaseproof paper with Melted choc buds ready to pip on, Paint brushes & colours to add their originality. Ppl love this stuff!
Give them a general direction but have s few things prepared so that even those least adventurous can STIL get GREAT results & feel an achievement! Variety of things is the key I think! Give them a few options on what to play with!

Thats my advice anyway! Good luck with it! icon_wink.gif

WendyB Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 7

I'm with the others on having cookies ready in advance. Even if you want to show them how to prepare them you don't want to waste time waiting for them to cool. It probably would be good to show/explain about the stick.

I also like the idea of having decorated examples. You could have example photos too. I think they'll get their own ideas better after they see some ideas.

Coffee mugs are great for holding bouquets.

andpotts Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:14am
post #5 of 7

Thank you all so much, I will be incorporating all of your ideas. I'm going to bake up a bunch of cookies and have the shapes already. I have printed out full color picture examples (thank you CC cookie decorators!) I will also decorate a bunch that will be ready and fully dried so they can do some packaging (I believe this takes cookies to the next level), show them how to do a simple bouquets (thanks for the mug idea!) And do a quick demo on rolling, baking and glace prep.

I was thinking of trying to get some pizza boxes so they can take their still drying creations home safely.

I hope it goes well, as I would love to do this before most holidays, it will be fun for everyone and they will have some little gifts for teachers, family etc. I am fully funding this one, my v day gift, but if we do more, I might have everyone throw in $4-$5 to cover material cost. I am so excited, I will let you know how it goes, thanks again for your responses! Andrea

antonia74 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:45am
post #6 of 7

icon_eek.gif

OMG, I misread your thread. I thought you were having an "adult-themed" cookie decorating party...kinda sexy and naughty. I'M SO SORRY! I PM'ed you some rather risque cookie pics!!

My bad! icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif

andpotts Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:01am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

icon_eek.gif

OMG, I misread your thread. I thought you were having an "adult-themed" cookie decorating party...kinda sexy and naughty. I'M SO SORRY! I PM'ed you some rather risque cookie pics!!

My bad! icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif

No apologies needed I thought those were great! Made DH and I LOL, he walked away shaking his head sayong "you cookie ladies are crazy!" thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%