Cakes Arent Baking :(

Decorating By mavreader Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 2:15pm by -K8memphis

mavreader Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mavreader Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 3:59am
post #1 of 11

Everytime I make an 8x3 wilton round pan, my cakes dont come out. as it is baking, the center gets all squished in and then the outsides of the cake will bake but the middle won't. I've left the cake in there for 1 hour and 15 minutes and i'm still edgy on whether to serve it or not...btw, I always use Wilton Bake Easy Strips....any ideas on how to fix this? cowboy.gifbirthday.gif

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:01am
post #2 of 11

How much better do you have in the pan and what temperature?

mavreader Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mavreader Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:02am
post #3 of 11

I fill the pan half full/half empty :p at 350 degrees

chachagyrl22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chachagyrl22 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:16am
post #4 of 11

Hi there. You might want to purchase an oven thermometer. You can find them at Target or Walmart in the kitchen gadget aisle. Hope this helps.

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:21am
post #5 of 11

Did you pre-heat the oven?

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:21am
post #6 of 11

I don't ever use those darn 3inch deep pans. I think they're miserable! But.. it would probably help if you lowered your baking temp to 325.

judyjudyjudy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judyjudyjudy Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:25am
post #7 of 11

I used to have the same problem. I got some great advise from the local bake shop...... they said to bake your cakes at a lower temperature for a longer period of time. It works GREAT and my cakes come out perfect every time. You have to be patient, 'cause it DOES take a little longer, but it is worth it! Good luck fellow Texan!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:35am
post #8 of 11

I never had anything but miserable experiences with 3" pans. I gave them all away and now happily use 2-2" pans for everything.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:40am
post #9 of 11

I agree with alexandrabill and judyjudyjudy about baking at a lower temp. I used to bake my cakes at 350 and was having a lot of trouble with the edges baking too soon or the middle not fully done, now I only bake my cakes at 325 no matter the size. It will take a bit longer to bake but It makes such a HUGE difference and I've never had a problem since!!!

ShariB-DivineDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShariB-DivineDesserts Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:19am
post #10 of 11

For my 6 x 3 and 8 x 3 inch cakes I put a flower nail in the center and bake at 325. The lower temp and the heating of the nail seem to help. When I use 10 x 3 or larger, I use the Wilton Center Core and it works great. I agree with using a thermometer also. When I started baking commercially I purchased one at Target for 8 bucks and was amazed how off my oven was at times.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:15pm
post #11 of 11

I mean if you've got an 8" pan half filled with batter and in the oven at 350 for 75 minutes then you definitely have a problem with the oven. You should have a near cookie crisp by that time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%