Wasc Vs Other Cake Recipes

Decorating By babycakes73 Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 10:39pm by babycakes73

babycakes73 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 3:37am
post #1 of 4

Have a question for you all here, I was looking at some of the yummy sounding box cake recipes and was wondering does one need to use a wasc cake recipe in order to make, sculpted or stacked, fondanted cakes?
Or can one use almost any of those recipes to make a cake such as I mentioned. Just wondering what the deal was. I am guessing the wasc cakes are dense and moist but better to carve with.
However a few of these other box cake recipes had similar added ingrediants to a wasc cake recipe but different in amounts and such, then again some did not but really sounded good and I wanted to try them, but am afraid of not getting the same results one may get from a wasc.
Kay now I am rambling on and on.
Sorry about that icon_redface.gif
I am just so new to cake decorating and want to know anything and everything. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
babycakes73 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 4

No takers eh?
Sorry this must be a bad or over asked post.
Thansk anyways.

Cakepro Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 4

No, you certainly do not have to use any of the WASC varieties to produce a cake suitable for sculpting, stacking, or covering with fondant.

Some of the more delicate scratch cake recipes aren't great for scultping because they produce a very fine crumb, and some chunky cakes, like carrot cakes, aren't suitable for sculpting because of the nuts, raisins, pineapple, etc in them.

However, I have not found a single cake recipe yet that is unsuitable for putting fondant on (except maybe angel food cake, but I bet others have done it!). icon_biggrin.gif

Virtually any boxed cake mix or doctored cake mix will be perfectly fine for your purposes.

babycakes73 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 4

Well thanks for the info.This is good to hear.
Now I can bake away with yet a little more confidence.

Quote by @%username% on %date%