Gumpaste In Boiled Sugar....can It Be Done?

Decorating By Cakepro Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 10:17pm by wasabi106

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 3:20am
post #1 of 3

I am making my mom a bud vase of gumpaste roses, complete all the way down to the thorns (similar to that fab rose bush Scott Clark Wooley has in his book). I was wondering if anyone has set gumpaste in poured sugar. I would like to use poured sugar as the water in the bud base so I can say that everything is sugar except the vase itself and the floral wires in the stems.

I am concerned that the hot sugar (isomalt) will damage the gumpaste, so I was wondering if anyone else here has tried it before I go through the trouble of doing a trial run.

Thanks!

2 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 3

This sounds beautiful! I have no idea about what the heat might do to gumpaste. Could you fabricate some sort of "shield" around the gumpaste flowers until the Isomalt cools? Maybe sacrifice a silicone pot holder or something? A shield wouldn't protect the thorns, but maybe..... If the gumpaste is totally dry, it may not get sufficient heat to be affected. ???

wasabi106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wasabi106 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 3

I don't know about the sugar water but... could you instead make a vase using the beer bottle technique here at CC (only use a vase instead of a bottle) and then skip the water all together and youcould still say it was all edible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%