Preserving Old Wilton Yearbooks - Help

Decorating By twinsmake5 Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 7:06pm by twinsmake5

twinsmake5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsmake5 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:53am
post #1 of 8

I have some old yearbooks and the pages are yellowed and starting to come loose. What would you do?

One idea - go to Kinko's, have them put covers on them and drill the holes for coil binding but I'm afraid the paper is so old... one is from 1964

Another idea - go ahead and take it apart and copy all the pages on new paper - go ahead an let Kinko's coil bind with covers

There sure be better ideas - anyone? I love, Love, LOVE these old books! Help please?

7 replies
SeeChicletRun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeeChicletRun Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:00am
post #2 of 8

Im just subbing. My oldest Wilton year books are older than I am, I think my oldest one is from '72 (I was born in '81). I keep them in a storage bin as much as possible because they are really starting to fall apart too. Id love to hear some suggestions too.

My thought was to get a scrapbook and carefully slice out the pages from the book and slip each page into one of the clear page protectors. That way they are totally protected.

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:28am
post #3 of 8

I bought 2 boxes of sheet protectors and some large notebooks from Sam's. I took my books apart, placed each page in a sheet protector and then in the notebook.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:40am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdills

I bought 2 boxes of sheet protectors and some large notebooks from Sam's. I took my books apart, placed each page in a sheet protector and then in the notebook.

That was going to be my suggestion. I sliced out the wedding cake pages from all of mine ... put them in the sleeves and have them in my "wedding cake pics NOT made by me" binder.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:00am
post #5 of 8

I did that with my instruction books from my classes. Sliced them apart and sheet protectors. I have a giant binder for various instructions. Aine2 tutorial etc.

HTH

Judi

Judi

Pat317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pat317 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:26am
post #6 of 8

If you want a really permanent way of preserving the pages of the books, I can give you a suggestion. Run them through a Xyorn machine that has a double sided laminate cartridge in it. It has archival adhesive that is used. It will stop any deterioration.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 8

That would really get expensive fast. Those Xyron laminate cartridges are not cheap....but you're right, it would stop further deterioration.

twinsmake5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsmake5 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:06pm
post #8 of 8

I have dozens of yearbooks - almost every one since 1976 plus their pattern books. I look at them often. Are there any other ideas to keep them together? Thanks though for all the ideas so far!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%