Which Fondant Mat Do You Use?

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 6:32pm by emiyeric

emiyeric Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:13am
post #1 of 8

I'm upgrading and replacing a couple of my pieces of equipment, since some of them have died, and some of them are just not enough for what I need ... so I apologize if there are several scattered posts from me to ask for tips of this sort.

I cannot live without a fondant mat, and I was moderately happy with my cheapy standard Wilton one, but I'm wondering which one you guys have had success with. Silicone? Maybe Ateco? I definitely still want one with graduated circles on it, it makes my life much much easier.

Thanks for any tips you might have!

-Emi.

7 replies
Cakepro Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:51am
post #2 of 8

I use thick vinyl sheets over my Wilton Roll n Cut mat and occasionally over the Cake Dividing Wheel mat (if I am making divisions on round cakes).

That way I can take advantage of the grids/measurements on the mats but don't care if I cut up the vinyl, as it is super cheap.

Plus with the vinyl, if I need to roll out a piece of fondant that's larger than 20", I can do so on my vinyl mat and just flip the whole thing over onto the cake rather than pick up the fondant to transfer it.

You can find the vinyl sheets at Hobby Lobby, Wal-Marts that have fabric on rolls, and fabric stores such as Hancock Fabrics, JoAnn's, etc.

I use my silpats for baking, not fondant work.

emiyeric Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 3:00am
post #3 of 8

What a great idea with the vinyl sheets! You've been a all full of good tidbits of wisdom for me today, Cakepro. Maybe I'll ask you to balance my checkbook next icon_wink.gif ... thanks so much for your help! icon_smile.gif

-Emi.

Cakepro Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 3:07am
post #4 of 8

I wondered if you thought I would be stalking you since I answer so many of your questions. icon_biggrin.gif

LOL, I haven't balanced a checkbook in like 8 or 9 years. Since the advent of online banking, I just log on and look through the transactions every few weeks to make sure nothing seems amiss. Do people still do that?

mygirlssweet Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 3:23am
post #5 of 8

I bought the 36" x 24" silicone mat from Ateco with grid lines. It's great! I HATED the Wilton one.

emiyeric Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:53am
post #6 of 8

Nah, I didn't even do it back when I DIDN'T have online banking ... math gooooooood, accounting baaaaaaaaad. Stalk away, you crazy person, I'll just absorb the cakesmarts through osmosis by standing close to you icon_wink.gif.

Thanks for your tip as well, mygirlssweet! I think the thing I hate about the Wilton one is that it creases, and then there's no fixing that and you have to fix it directly on the cake, which is a pain.

Thanks again!

-Emi.

sugarshack Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 8:50am
post #7 of 8

Ateco all the way! So flexible!

emiyeric Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 8

Sounds great! Thanks so much for your tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%