Total Newbie... What To Expect At My First Wilton Class...

Decorating By Redlotusninjagrl Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 5:46am by Skirt

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:31am
post #1 of 16

Okay, so I was supposed to go to a decorating class with a friend at a local bakery. I was unable to go, but have been lurking here for the past few weeks. I have since registered for a Wilton class at Michael's. I am sure that I would learn more on this site, but I am definitely a visual person so I am hoping I can learn a little better in an actual class. My question to those who have gone through this class or are instructors... what am I supposed to learn? I am sure it is going to be very basic, which is fine with me. There was no description of the class that I could find in the store and the online description was very basic. Also, after taking this, what else would you recommend? The second class looks like it is pretty much all flowers. Do I need to take that to take some of the others? Or all ALL of them the best way to go? Thanks!

15 replies
lacyttfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacyttfn Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:29am
post #2 of 16

I am a newbie as well. I took 4 Wilton classes and enjoyed them all. After that I took a few more 'advanced' classes at a bakery in town. Like you said, you will learn the basics but when you have a good instructor you will learn much more. I would definaltley go. You always have to start with the basics.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 3:03am
post #3 of 16

It's been more than 5 yrs since I taught so I odn't know hoiw much it might have changed.
The 1st night is all observation. The instru7ction will show you how to make icing; how to ice the cake and what equipment you need (to buy).
2nd night you should learn stars, dots, maybe zigzag, and drop flowers and start on the rose. You bring a cake and decorate it
3rd finish the rose. A couple more flowers & borders. You decorate a cake.
4th night: I can't remembericon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:03am
post #4 of 16

hi, i teach wilton at michaels.... in course 1.. the first night, the teacher , shows how to make class buttercream.... shows how to use all the different bags and tips... shows how to make parchment bags,etc. shows how to level, torte and ice and smooth a cake... tells what is expected in the next 3 classes. 2nd class. student brings already iced cake.. can be 1 layer... can be 2 stacked and already iced.... shows how to do stars, curvy line... zizzag.. writing and printing..small dots... starts the rose... and how to transfer a pattern... .. 3rd class..work on the rose some more... shell border.... figure piping... heart.... drop flowers and swirl flowers and the clown... 4th class... finish the rose... sweetpea... bows... leaves ... vines... in the 2nd , 3rd and 4th classes , students decorate the cake that they have brought in , the last 40 -45 min. of class. it is really fun.. if you don,t know anything about any of this... it doesn,t seem so basic ... then.. but with practice... practice.. practice.. then it will then seem basic.. some people have a hard time with any of it.. some people catch on fast... but in my classes.. we all work together and help each other... thats how we make new friends... then most of them go on to course 11.. course 111 and fondantandgumpaste together... they laugh and talk and have a good time together.. hth

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:29am
post #5 of 16

I think you should take all 4 classed I Did and had great fun my classes were 4 weeks 1 day a week 2 hours a day and I learned a lot and met a lot of nice people, and had a lot of fun GO FOR IT.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 16

As a WMI I always suggest students take C1 first. While someone may have some decorating experience there is a lot of useful information in the classes. And depending on the instructor, you will hopeful learn tips and tricks form him/her.

I know a lot of people will tell you on here that they learned more on this site than in the classes and blah blah blah. I think websites like this are great resources, but with them you don't have someone standing beside you showing you how to hold the bag, or to tell you if your icing is too thick or too thin. Or give you suggestions on how to make the shell border look more even.

I have learned tons of things from websites and books and people, but I will always have Wilton to thank for my basics and for starting that spark to learn more.

jenniferus2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferus2002 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 16

Can i ask what you guys paid for fees to take the classes? I am interested in taking them but can not find what the fees are anywhere. Thanks.
Jennifer

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:41pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferus2002

Can i ask what you guys paid for fees to take the classes? I am interested in taking them but can not find what the fees are anywhere. Thanks.
Jennifer

I start Fondant and Gumpaste tomorrow night. Cake 1 was discounted at $21, all other classes were org $35 but I was issued a $10 coupon for all other courses, so it made it $25 for all my other classes.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 16

Jenniferus, I think in my area the classes were running at $30 when I was taking them. I got lucky and I always got a special. Either 50% off the class, or sometimes bought the class kit and got the course for one cent. Watch for those kinds of specials!

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizatchgirl

Jenniferus, I think in my area the classes were running at $30 when I was taking them. I got lucky and I always got a special. Either 50% off the class, or sometimes bought the class kit and got the course for one cent. Watch for those kinds of specials!

Jeez..your so lucky icon_cry.gif

jenniferus2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferus2002 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:36pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks guys i will take them all at that price!

thepinklotusstore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thepinklotusstore Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:46pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

I think you should take all 4 classed I Did and had great fun my classes were 4 weeks 1 day a week 2 hours a day and I learned a lot and met a lot of nice people, and had a lot of fun GO FOR IT.

I totally agree!!! You'll learn all sorts of lil tricks to help u advance in decorating, honestly though the first three classes are basic buttercream and royal icing decor and the fondant and gumpaste is also EXTREMELY basic, but once u have the foundations u grow from there!!
The only course I didnt really like was Course II all those royal icing flowers, hehehe my final cake was pretty ugly, so much so I was embarrassed to post it !! heheheeh

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:28am
post #13 of 16

I just finished the beginner class at a local bakery and really enjoyed it. All things cake interest me so even though I HATE clowns icon_mad.gif , I even did a few of those!
I've already signed up for the next class which here too is mostly flowers but I figure I'll be able to apply that to something else later on down the road. icon_wink.gif

It's certainly alot of fun if you have an enthusiastic teacher icon_biggrin.gif
LL
LL

PurpleIcing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurpleIcing Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:52am
post #14 of 16

Thats a very nice looking Cake Skirt. I like it alot.

mavreader Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mavreader Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:09am
post #15 of 16

I'm 16, and I took the wilton course 1 at my local Hobby Lobby. I really enjoyed them. I learned alot from the 4 classes and now my cakes are better than ever. Your instructor will guide you through everything and watching the instructor do the decorations first, it really helps in learning it. Of course, you will need to practice, but after this course you will be able to decorate great cakes! icon_smile.gif

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:46am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleIcing

Thats a very nice looking Cake Skirt. I like it alot.

icon_redface.gif

See? You made me blush! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%