Bakery Type Frosting :)

Baking By mavreader Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 1:20am by newmansmom2004

mavreader Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mavreader Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 17

hello everyone, I'm brand new here, but I signed up mainly because I wanted to find a frosting like they use at the bakeries. At the moment, I am using the Wilton Class Buttercream recipe that I learned in Wilton Course 1, but it seems like such a hassle to only make 3 cups...anyone know of one? Thanks everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 17

I've had mine compared to a bakery before icon_biggrin.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLcCbN2I4xI&feature=channel_page

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 17

First, welcome to CC ... a great resource for everything cake!

That's a hard question to answer because with so many bakeries, there are so many different types of icing. My personal view is that I dont' want my icing to taste like everyone else's. (If mine tastes just like all the other bakeries, why would someone buy mine? )

If you need more than 3 cups, just double or triple the recipe. Do you have a KA? That makes it a lot easier.

mavreader Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 12:01am
post #4 of 17

Yes, I do have a kitchenaid...but still...the frosting tastes too sweet and I really enjoy the bakery frosting....icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:37am
post #5 of 17

Without wanting to look self-promoting, here's the only icing I've ever used for over 25 years: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1163913

Many people say it's not too sweet (which I don't understand because it's made of sugar); many say it taste a bit like a whipped cream icing. It crusts well and holds up in extreme heat and humidity. Most CC'ers who have tried it, have given it a good review.

mavreader Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:47am
post #6 of 17

i wanted to try this recipe but the link you posted sent me to a lighthouse cake picture,,,

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:55am
post #7 of 17

You can buy actual bakery icing at Sam's in a big bucket that's like 25-30 lbs. The price is around $26.

This will allow you to have icing on hand that lasts a long time in the pantry whenever you want it. You can add different flavorings to it if you want to change it up a bit.

I've used it before. I like making my own icing, but in a pinch I'll use the Sam's for cupcakes or a cake just for us.

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:01am
post #9 of 17

I make indydebi's recipe, but I do add a litle salt to cut the sweetness down a bit. If you buy the popcorn salt, it is a much finer grain.

You will LOVE her icing. It is very light and crust very well.

want2bcupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
want2bcupcakequeen Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:04am
post #10 of 17

I only use indydebi's frosting. I love frosting and this frosting is very dangerous for me to keep in the house because I can't stay away from it!

want2bcupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:14am
post #12 of 17

I made white chocolate IMBC today for the first time and it is great! Not sweet at all. Indydebi..yours is next, Ive had my eye on it for awhile!

mavreader Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:17am
post #13 of 17

How much icing does indydebi's icing make? And does Sam's Club really do that? I went to my local H-E-B to buy frosting but they said that they don't sell it.

newmansmom2004 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 3:46am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavreader

And does Sam's Club really do that?

Yep - they really do that! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 3:49am
post #15 of 17

Kris, thanks for posting hte correct link. I was looking up lighthouse cakes at the same time and must have copied the wrong open window! icon_redface.gif

P.S. But it WAS a nice looking lighthouse cake, wasn't it!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:01am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranbel

I make indydebi's recipe, but I do add a litle salt to cut the sweetness down a bit. If you buy the popcorn salt, it is a much finer grain.

Pickling salt is the same thing as popcorn salt, but it is MUCH cheaper!

newmansmom2004 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:20am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranbel

Pickling salt is the same thing as popcorn salt, but it is MUCH cheaper!

You can also make your own fine salt by putting regular salt into a food processor and letting it rip! Alton did this one night on his show.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%