Do People Eat Your Fondant/gumpaste Figures?

Decorating By margaretb Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 5:10am by tjrobin31

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 11

I have started doing fondant figures on cakes, but I have been finding the fondant too soft. I've read to mix 50/50 fondant and gumpaste, but doesn't gumpaste taste terrible? These decorations are for kids, so they always want to eat them.

Thanks,
Margaret

10 replies
cookiesbyms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesbyms Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 11

I use fondant with a bit of almond essence and CMC kneaded into it. Kids seem to enjoy it, I've had no complaints yet.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 11

Yes, only kids love to eat that. But never seen an adult eating them. icon_smile.gif

cookiesbyms Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:10am
post #4 of 11

That's true, I don't like to eat it. But do you remember being a kid and everything tasted so good (except veggies). So I guess if the cake is for kids then don't stress too much because they want to eat it. icon_smile.gif

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:49am
post #5 of 11

My nephews love fondant - even the Wilton pre-made stuff - and they love to bite the heads of the characters I make.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 11

cookiesbyms: what is CMC?

cookiesbyms Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:59am
post #7 of 11

My packet says Tylose (CMC) powder. I was told that you can dissolve it in water to make edible glue and when I add it to the fondant it helps it to dry hard. Apart from that I don't know too much about it. Hope that helps a bit. icon_smile.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:58am
post #8 of 11

I love modeling figures. My Grandsons both love to eat the figures. They get so excited when they see them, and it's the first thing to go from the cake! As a matter of fact, they eat the figures and leave the cake sometimes! I use fondant with just a little tylose added.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:05am
post #9 of 11

My 3 year old is always hanging around when I'm working with fondant so he can sneak pieces. He wants to eat it. Nobody else really does. I make the figures, they go on the cake, and then they come off the cake and generally end up being saved. My mom has hers from June of 08 in her hutch in the kitchen. From what I've heard, a lot of people have saved them.

One guy even took all the pieces off his cake, got some floral foam, and set it all up again so he could have a nice display with them. Go figure.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:12am
post #10 of 11

My kids love to eat them too. In fact, they fight over who gets the figure.

tjrobin31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjrobin31 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:10am
post #11 of 11

i made valentines cupcakes with two fondant birds on top my son ate both birds and left the cupcake, can you say sugar high icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%