Levelling Cakes

Decorating By londonpeach Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 5:49pm by londonpeach

londonpeach Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 9

I'm hopeing to get some tips from people on here....whenever I level my cakes it seems to take ages, cutting bits off here and there icon_sad.gif

I do turn my cakes upside down so it's flat on the top but would love to get it level.

I did buy a wilton cake leveler (which is now with a friend who's trying to figure out how to use it) but i found it useless, maybe it's me not useing it correctly icon_cry.gif

8 replies
ddaigle Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 9

I LOVE the cake leveler. Sometimes I have to cut a little slit to help it start sawing, but I like that I can adjust the height. Here's an article on how to level & tort! HTH! Good luck

londonpeach Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 9

What am i doing wrong...when i used the leveler the blade wobbled icon_redface.gif and the cake ended up looking terrible icon_cry.gif

londonpeach Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks ddaigle
I've just looked at the link you posted, i think i'm going to have to get my leveler back from my friend and try again.

I find when i'm just using a knife to level it never comes out straight the first time and i have to cut more off...then i have more scraps to eat icon_razz.gif

indydebi Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 9

Here's a tip I picked up from CC (and I think the CC'er said her grandmother did this). It's a great way to trim until you get experienced with free-hand leveling (or can afford to buy an Agbay).

After removing the cake from the pan, put 2 or 3 cardboards in the pan, then replace the cake. The cardboards will elevate the cake above the edge ofthe pan. You can now use the edge of the pan as a guide and slice the top off for a perfectly flat cake.

I've done this a few times and it is a GREAT way to trim a cake!

tomatoqeen Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 9

indydebi -- great idea!! I used to use the edge of the cake pan to level my tops, but now that I use bake strips, the cake is level on top and I don't need to level the tops very often (unless I overfill that is). But adding the cardboard and using the edge for torting is a great idea. Never would have thought about it!! Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

ShariB-DivineDesserts Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:40am
post #7 of 9

icon_biggrin.gif I use both the large and small Wilton levelers and they work great. I agree with ddaigle, I make a slit first and then they work fine. I just used my large one yesterday for a 12 x 18 slab and it worked fine. It does take some practice. Hang in there.

Jeaucl Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 9

I hate the wilton cake levelers, I just got a good serrated knife and that works great for carving and leveling. Using the cake pan is great idea, I would have never thought of that on my own! I had just eyeballed in the past.

londonpeach Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:49pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for everyones advice....I had thought of puting boards in the tin but whenever i make a cake (which is very often as it's more of a hobby than a full time thing) i never seem to have the right size board to fit in the tin icon_redface.gif
I am definately gonna stock up on some small drum boards for future cakes though icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%