Buttercream Fondant??

Baking By ddaigle Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 1:51pm by ddaigle

ddaigle Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 14

Has anyone ever made this? I didn't see a recipe for it here in our recipe vault. I copied the article, this is not me talking below.

Buttercream Fondant

1 cup of shortening or butter
1 cup of clear corn syrup
½ tsp fine salt
1 tsp clear vanilla extract
½ tsp any flavoring
2lbs of powdered sugar

Mix shortening, syrup and flavorings together. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time.

If you want to make a chocolate rolled butter cream fondant just add ½ cup of cocoa to sugar before mixing.

My favorite tasting fondant would be the regular rolled fondant just because it has a more buttery flavor because I use butter flavored shortening and butter flavoring.

The buttercream fondant is shinier and is used mostly for wedding cakes. The Marshmallow is easier to make.

13 replies
ddaigle Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 14

Wow...the reviews swung completely both ways....I love it..and I hate it...I think I'll just stick with my MMF. Thanks Jan! You're alwyas such a wealth of knowledge here.

JanH Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 14

You're most welcome, ddaigle. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by ddaigle

Wow...the reviews swung completely both ways....I love it..and I hate it....

Actually, that doesn't surprise me anymore.... icon_lol.gif

Some of the threads on CC have become very heated on similar topics. tapedshut.gif

If I find a frosting recipe that's interesting, I just make up 1/2 or even 1/4 of the recipe for testing purposes.... and then I decide if I like it. But if everyone pans the recipe, I usually keep looking.

MacsMom Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 14

I just use LoRann butter flavored candy oil in my MMF. I like the taste better than Fondarific's buttercream flavor:

KrissieCakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 14

I tried it! It tastes fabulous, but falls apart REALLY easy. The cake I did with this stuff was the most frustrating cake I've ever done! But boy did it taste good!

Win Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 14

ddaigle, rolled buttercream can be greasy and is harder to work with than fondant in many cases. It tends to want to slip. However, many love the flavor of RBC over fondant. I once saw a noted cake designer combine the two and tried that myself. It worked well and had good flavor. Just another thought to add to the mix ('scuse the pun.)

ddaigle Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:20pm
post #8 of 14

Well, I don't need any more challenges. I already do almost every cake 2 times because of my analness. I like the taste of MMF....I just want to continue to spike up the flavor until I REALLY get it right. I haven't been able to find the LoRann locally.....is that something I will need to order? Deb

Win Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 14

Do you have a Hobby Lobby in your area? They have the LoRann in their cake aisle on the opposite side with candy molds, etc. I'm not sure; however, if they have the butter flavor (I know they have butter-rum, but that is really strong.) If not, you might have to order the flavoring online. Not much help, sorry. icon_sad.gif

ddaigle Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:35pm
post #10 of 14

I do have a HL. I didn't to look there. I'll check it out. Thanks!

MacsMom Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:25pm
post #11 of 14

I buy mine at CountryKitchenSA.com

ddaigle Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:52am
post #12 of 14

MacsMom...I just returned from my local party store and they had it....I never looked in the candy section. Thanks!!!

schnumvf Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 3:51am
post #13 of 14

I made rolled buttercream once. I'd like to try it one more time. It was a little sweet, but I think I lost count w/ my cups of sugar. icon_redface.gif

I used it on NFSC and I was pleased w/ the result. (factoring in my inability to count cups of sugar) I'm not sure how it would have held up on a cake. It's not going to replace my love for MMF... but I would like to give it another go, just for something different.

ddaigle Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:51pm
post #14 of 14

If I ever do try it..it will be to cover cookies or something small. I'm not going to fight it to cover a cake if it has the tendency to tear.

Quote by @%username% on %date%