Wedding Cake Question..

Decorating By tarheelgirl Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 9:30pm by Deb_

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 5

I booked my 1st wedding cake this past weekend!!! Did the tasting and was so relieved when it was over with. icon_biggrin.gif

All of you experts.. The top tier is usually saved by the couple and not eaten at the reception. So, you don't really add that into the serving amount.. So How do you charge for the top tier? Or do you? I have a wedding for 75 servings. So.. a 10, 8, 6 would be enough.. It would be 70 servings without the 6. Any suggestions would be great! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 5

Congrats on booking your 1st wedding!

Everyone does things differently. I tell the couple to serve the entire cake. After the wedding I mail them a certificate for a free 6" replica of the top tier to be redeemed for their 1st anniversary. There is an expiration date on the certificate and that they need to contact me at least 2 weeks before the anniversary. So far every couple I've worked with loves it.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelgirl

I booked my 1st wedding cake this past weekend!!! Did the tasting and was so relieved when it was over with. icon_biggrin.gif

All of you experts.. The top tier is usually saved by the couple and not eaten at the reception. So, you don't really add that into the serving amount.. So How do you charge for the top tier? Or do you? I have a wedding for 75 servings. So.. a 10, 8, 6 would be enough.. It would be 70 servings without the 6. Any suggestions would be great! icon_biggrin.gif

Round tiers? I get a 8in & 10in to be only 62 servings, so you'd better double check. It would be 74 with the 6in included. Congrats on you first booking though!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 5

I do like the certificate idea! Everyone likes FREE!

You know I found a chart on here somewhere and that is what I was going by. I am thinking the Wilton chart would be more on target!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 5

Ask the couple what they intend to do. Will they be serving or saving the top tier. Either way, I charge for it.

The last couple I had order said "ewwwww gross, we don't want to eat a cake that's been frozen for a year". So they opted to serve the entire cake and not save the top tier.

If they ordered the 10, 8, 6 than charge for that amount of servings.

I also give the couple a certificate for a 6" anniversary cake to be used within 30 days of their 1st yr anniversary. Although it's much simpler than cakesbycathy's, I just make a simple happy anniversary white or chocolate cake iced, and with roses, not a remake of their top tier. That's really nice of you to do that cathy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%