Late...............

Decorating By Wesha Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 5:22am by liapsim

Wesha Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 16

Does'nt it just urk you when you have a scheduled pickup and the customer is late. I had a customer that was supposed to be here at 10 am. Well, it is now 1:15 and no show. I called her at 12:00 and she said that she gave the money to her brother to come and pick up the cake. I asked her if she wanted the cake and she said yes (baby shower cake mind you). She said that she was going to call me back in a few mins because she was going to call her brother to see what the deal was with him and she was getting her hair braided at the moment. I am on the verge of being pissed now. I spoke with her yesterday to make sure that there were no changes to the cake and she said no. I think I may change my policy to reflect payment due up front because this can cause a problem.

15 replies
Cakepro Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 16

Oh yeah, I hate when they are really late and don't call. I always get paid in full before making the cake though.

I sure hope they don't leave you hanging all day!

indydebi Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 16

YOu tell them "I have an appt I have to leave for in 15 minutes. If it's not picked up by then, you wont' be getting your cake until I get back at 6:00." You'll be AMAZED how fast they get there.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 16

I had a lady like that! She prepaid tho. She had completely forgotten she had ordered the cake. icon_confused.gif When I called her to ask her when she was planning on picking it up, she was 100 miles away. She had a friend swing by and pick it up. How can you forget you ordered a $70 cake???? icon_surprised.gif

Honeychild Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

YOu tell them "I have an appt I have to leave for in 15 minutes. If it's not picked up by then, you wont' be getting your cake until I get back at 6:00." You'll be AMAZED how fast they get there.

I'm going to stash this line away for future use. thumbs_up.gif Awesome!

If I made cakes for a living I would definitely want payment up front. Don't take a chance with your bread and butter.

suzylynn58 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 16

Yes it is annoying. I try to have all my cakes delivered/picked up by noon Saturday. That way I have time to do shopping or take a nap if I want to.

When I get my commercial kitchen up and running, I will definitely be enforcing pick up times.

Susan

chutzpah Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 16

I have a shop, so they can pick up anytime during opening hours.

Before I had my store I had a studio/kitchen. I always told THEM when they could pick up.

"You can pick up the cake between 10 am and 11 am. At 11.15 I am going out of town for three days." Etc.

Or like Debi said, tell 'em if it isn't picked up in fifteen minutes you can get it after 10 am tomorrow.

seagoat Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 16

I have also learned to give them a cut off time. If not, they will string you along until it's convenient for them. It would be so bad if I was retail location, there would be someone there anyways. For some reason when people run late, I can always think of something I have to do at that moment! Even though, if they picked up on time I wouldn't have anything to do!..lol

Cut off time is a must! I hate hanging around..waiting

Wesha Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 16

It is now 4:00 and I am declaring a no show. I called again and she did not answer her phone. From here on out, I will be getting paid in advance or no cake. So now I am stuck with a cake. icon_mad.gif

Wesha Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:03pm
post #10 of 16

It is now 4:00 and I am declaring a no show. I called again and she did not answer her phone. From here on out, I will be getting paid in advance or no cake. So now I am stuck with a cake. icon_mad.gif

Deb_ Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:15pm
post #11 of 16

That completely stinks. Is she a returning client?

Well, look at it this way, it's Superbowl Sunday, you at least have a reason to eat it!

sugarwishes Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:18pm
post #12 of 16

That's terrible!!! ugghhhh people make me so mad! I don't understand why someone would order a cake if they cannot pick it up! Maybe something had happened last minute, but they could at least have the decency to call or pick up their phone, especially when they already said someone was on the way!!!!! icon_mad.gif I'm so sorry that happened to you, I agree that next time to get paid in advance. On the bright side, (maybe?) you have some yummy cake to eat.

seagoat Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:29am
post #13 of 16

You might want to hold off before you eat it. I had a no show once and she showed up the next morning full of apologies.

Wesha Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:05am
post #14 of 16

I just stuck it in the fridge. The baby shower was today so that means she no longer needs the cake. I may just give it away in exchange for handing out some business cards or word of mouth advertising. thumbs_up.gif

abruntz Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:21am
post #15 of 16

I had this happen with a birthday cake just a regular sheet cake $40.00 not a biggie, but I was so pissed. I feel your pain, how can people do this to us do they not realize how hard we work on these cakes? I am with whoever said to get paid up front. That is my policy from here on out!

liapsim Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:22am
post #16 of 16

Wow...that really sucks!!! Hate to hear that! Yeah, I don't believe she "forgot" the cake....good luck getting rid of it all and maybe it will help you pull in more business!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%