How Do I Make My Mmf Glossy And Clean Without Pearl Dust?

Decorating By Lucy0618 Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 10:48pm by kello

Lucy0618 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lucy0618 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 6

When I work with my mmfondant I use either powder sugar or cornstarch to make it a bit firm and to roll it out to place it on the cake but when I finish I see my cake and it has a lot of powder all over itself and it has a dull look. I use a bit of water to clean and use pearl dust to dust, but I see a lot of you that your cakes are so clean and so glossy and I imagine you use something else. Can anyone help me out? I've tried shortnening but it makes it sticky and a bit hard to work with but maybe I'm doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated thanks everyone.

5 replies
rachel-b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachel-b Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 6

I got this tip from someone here on CC (can't remember who). When you are finished with the cake, lightly coat your fingers with Crisco and rub down your cake. This will get rid of any excess powder sugar or cornstarch. It will be glossy at first, but will dry. HTH!

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 6

I use the crisco on fingers as well. I also use like a blush brush to dust off the excess powder first, and then lightly use a small amount of crisco.

TammyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TammyH Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 6

I also use crisco, but I use a papertowl and not my fingers. When I tried to use my fingers, I managed to put nail-marks and finger-impressions on/in my cake...

TammyH

Lucy0618 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lucy0618 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 6

So instead of water you brush crisco? So its kind of like adding cream to the cake right? So I can get an idea.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 10:48pm
post #6 of 6

Water will make your MMF gooey. That's what you would use to stick MMF together.....I would stay away from water and just brush off the excess powder if you can and then use your finger or paper towel, dip it in a little crisco and rub gently on your MMF to kind of "polish" it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%