How Much Gumpaste And Gold Dust Do I Need

Decorating By bellabiaggio Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 8:36pm by Cakepro

bellabiaggio Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing a crown cake for a friend's son's 5th birthday next week. I am going to make an 8 inch round cake, then using a Burger King crown as a template, make a gumpast crown to go around. She is using a lot of blues and purples, but I suggested a gold crown with those colors as "jewels".

My question is, how much gold pearl dust will I need? I bought one Wilton package the other day, but I'm afraid that after making a paste with some sort of exract to paint the gold on, I am going to need a whole lot more. This stuff is edible, correct? I told her that she could easily take the crown off to enjoy the buttercream iced cake underneath, but I'm sure a little dust will get on to the BC.

Also, what color should I tint the gumpaste so that the gold shows best? And lastly, for this size cake, how much gumpaste would be needed? I bought a package of Wilton's premade at Michaels. I've done a lot of stuff with fondant, but not so much with gumpaste. I just thought that gumpaste would harden faster.

Sorry that this is SO LONG, but any help would be greatly appreciatedicon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

6 replies
kakeladi Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 7

Yah, I'm rather sure Wilton's stuff is edible. Even if it is non-toxic it won't hurt if any gets on the b'cream. But, it won't give you a very good gold coloricon_sad.gif You might need at least one more. I haven't used the Wilton gold powder so I really don't know how well it will cover; how far it will go.
I would make the gp a light to med yellow. Yah, the gp should go a little farther than the fondant as you would roll it thinner.

Cakepro Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:55am
post #3 of 7

I recently made a large gumpaste crown in an egg yellow color and painted it with gold luster dust mixed with vodka. It came out great! You won't need more than one container. However, I do recommend mixing in some super pearl dust to give it a better gold color.

The only problem you will have with using straight gumpaste is that you won't have as much working time to cut out shapes (if that's what you are going to do, like I did) before it forms a skin on it, which will wrinkle into the dreaded "elephant skin" when you go to wrap it around your former. If you're wrapping it around a former, rolling it thinner will actually make it harder to work with (that's what I first did and had to re-do it).

I recommend you use a 50/50 gumpaste/fondant blend. It will harden just as much as gumpaste will but you will have more working time.

Post pics when you're done! icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:22am
post #4 of 7

.......problem you will have with using straight gumpaste is that you won't have as much working time ......

Yah, I thought of that but then forget to mention iticon_smile.gif

bellabiaggio Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:48am
post #5 of 7

Thank you so much kakeladi and cakepro icon_smile.gif I am going to do the 50/50 as suggested. I will post pics at the end of the week. Wish me luck!

bellabiaggio Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:38am
post #6 of 7

Here is the finished product. A piece broke off and I tried "glueing" it back with a thick meringue powder and water concoction. I advised my friend to do the same should anything else break, but she decided to go with scotch tape. This was my first time using such a large amount of gumpaste, what would anyone suggest using the next time should a fragile, rigid piece break off again? Thanks for looking!
LL

Cakepro Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:36pm
post #7 of 7

That looks great!

In the future, you can use Superglue to glue on broken pieces. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%