Attend Ices Saturday Or Sunday?

Decorating By quilting2011 Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 3:55am by TexasSugar

quilting2011 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 7

It looks like my husband will be layed off and my hours will be reduced. UGH! I still want to go to ICES Chicago.

I will stay with friends. If you can only pick one day to visit the vendors would it be Saturday or Sunday. and visit the cake gallery Saturday or Sunday? Any input?

6 replies
classiccake Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 7

If you go on Sunday, you can stay for night of sharing also. Many vendors and many members sit at tables and you can walk around and watch, listen, talk to people showing techniques. It is one of the neatest parts of the weekend, I think.

Hey, I hear you about lay-offs. My son, who is getting married this fall got laid off last month, his fiances' father has been out of work for a year now, and my husbands company just announced they are closing his plant this summer....UGHHHH.

Good thing people are still buying cakes! icon_biggrin.gif

quilting2011 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 12:28am
post #3 of 7

My low budget schedule includes staying with my friends in Chicago. tour and visit friends/relatives. Drive to Pheasant on Sunday. Thanks for the tip. At least I can go to the Night of sharing.

TexasSugar Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 7

Sunday a lot of venders will be sold out of stuff, but at the same time a lot will be lowering prices so they don't have as much stuff to ship and carry home.

Even with the lower prices on Sunday I would probably say Saturday, since you will have a better chance of less things being sold out.

quilting2011 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:52am
post #5 of 7

Texas-thanks for your info. My DH received his pink slip. His last day of work is Monday, February 9th. I received mine Friday, Feb. 20th due to budget cuts. Oh well.

As a CPA, I guess I will be doing Taxes on the side. My husband can design web pages and teach yoga.

I will teach cake decorating classes to hearing impaired students. (I am deaf). and vegan cakes.

I probably will attend the ICES on Sunday only.

HeavenlyDelights Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:32am
post #6 of 7

I've been looking at going to the convention (really wanted to go to Orlando last year) does anybody know if I only want to attend the gallery and vendors do I have to be a ICES member (what do you guys think?). I'd rather spend the sixty bucks membership fee on vendors once I get there (live in NW Indiana.)

Would love to do the tours but I would definitely need a windfall to do all of that. Not experiencing any layoffs but things are tight. Certainly praying for all of us. You're right classiccake thank God people still want to eat cake during these tough times.

TexasSugar Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:55am
post #7 of 7

If you just want to do the Vendor room and cake room then no you don't have to be an ICES member. The cost is the same either way. It is $50 (or has been in the past) for the one day Vender/Cake room entrance.

If you want to go do the demo's then yes, it is cheaper to become a member since the price of the convention and membership together is still cheaper than the non member rate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%