Football Pan Cake Too Hard On Sides...due Today

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 5:27pm by newmansmom2004

cathie_shinnick Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone, I posted this in cake disasters too, sorry for two on the same subject but I am desperate.....I have a Lombardi Trophy cake due today for Super Bowl. My problem is that every cake I have made in the football pan (so far 4) have come out with hard sides and bottoms. I am baking at 350 until the center is done. I am using a flower peg in the center. Can anyone help me I am running out of time and I cant give them an uneatable cake.....Please HELP icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

4 replies
Cakepro Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 5

I would brush the cake liberally with simple syrup since rebaking at this point is not an option.

Simple syrup: 1 cup water to 1 cup sugar. Boil for one minute, add a teaspoon of extract of your choice (optional), and allow to cool to room temp (which you can do faster if you place your saucepan in an ice bath).

Simple syrup is also a wonderful way to deliver different flavors to baked cakes. icon_smile.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie_shinnick

My problem is that every cake I have made in the football pan (so far 4) have come out with hard sides and bottoms. I am baking at 350 until the center is done. I am using a flower peg in the center

My football pan instructions say to bake at 325, which is what I do, and it comes out great. Next time you bake one, try the lower temp. The one time I didn't read the instructions and baked it at 350 the sides and bottom were done but the middle was still raw. Needless to say - totally inedible and into the trash it went.

I know that doesn't really help you today, so I'd try the simple syrup suggested by others on this thread.

Cakerer Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 5

I use simple syrup on all my cakes. I usually make mine in the microwave...it's a little less messy for me...I add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water and cook until it melts well. Add a dash of flavoring (my fav is butter van nut) and toss in the freezer to cool!

newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 5

One other tip on the football pan - don't overfill it! If you have the same Wilton football pan I have (2105-6504 - check the number on the end or bottom of the pan) there are the lines on the bottom of the pan that make up the seam in the football, then there's one other line in the pan and that's the outline of the football that goes all the way around the pan. I fill my pan up to that line and bake. It bakes up to the top of the pan but not spilling over. Hope that makes sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%