Fake Cake Dilemma

Decorating By slopokesgirl Updated 3 Jan 2014 , 8:12am by gscout73

newbride14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbride14 Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 7:32pm
post #61 of 62

AI am thinking about making my own fake cake for my wedding,any ideas on what i can use instead of fondant to cover my Styrofoam with

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 8:12am
post #62 of 62

I recommend using fondant, probably Wilton, since it is cheaper and works great. I made a dummy cake for a wedding where the couple served ice cream cupcakes but the groom insisted on a cake so they can have the ceremonial slice. I cut a section out of the base tier, and in the cut-out space I covered the bare surface w/royal icing and then lined w/saran wrap. I then inserted a piece of cake, then covered each tier first w/royal icing to glue the fondant to each cake, then covered w/rolled out fondant. I ran a dowel down thru all the tiers to keep stable, and decorated the entire cake, even the pearls are fondant (the snowflakes are covered with edible glitter and they sparkled). It was fabulous and know one knew it was fake and everyone questioned why it was not being served. If you look to the right on the bottom tier, you can see a slight recess in the fondant. That is where the real cake was inserted in the dummy.

I made this over the last 2 nights. Only the top and one very small 2" wide by 4" deep segement of the bottom are cake. The middle and rest of bottom tier are dummies. The bride was having ice cream cupcakes but the groom still wanted a cake for the ceremonial slice. I used the mini loaf pan set for cake segment. The inspiration was found web surfing. Everyone loved it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%