Stencilling On Fondant

Decorating By shmibs Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 5:52pm by tcakes65

shmibs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shmibs Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:44am
post #1 of 12

Hi,

I have a swirly design that I would like to stencil onto my fondant so that I can pipe RI over the top and achieve the same design.

Any ideas how I can safely 'draw' on my fondant???

Thanks!!!!

11 replies
dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:53am
post #2 of 12

Wish I could help I would like to know myself

mabryant0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabryant0212 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:59am
post #3 of 12

They have eidible markers and writing things but I just always use a toothpick and gentle like trace

londonpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
londonpeach Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:52am
post #4 of 12

The way trace the design onto greaseproof paper, place paper on cake then using a scriber ( like a metal stick..pointed at the end ) or a toothpick i go over the design to mark the cake then ice over design.
Hope that makes sense, i'm not very good at describing things icon_rolleyes.gif

londonpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
londonpeach Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:53am
post #5 of 12

Sorry, my post came out a bit wrong..i meant to write, the way i do this.....

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 10:37am
post #6 of 12

I saw on a food network challenge "Celebration Cakes" , the girl place a stencil on the side of the cake and used a small spatula to spread royal icing over and when she pulled the stencil up, it looked great! I'm thinking you can do a really thin layer that way, and then pipe over it if you need to. That's the only thing I could think of HTH.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 12

I try to use RI and "paint" over the stencils...seems like when I do the toothpick thing my RI sinks into the fondant in some places and looks like my GS did it. Just my .2. Maybe I am a little hard on myself. Let me know how it turns out. mimi

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 12

I haven't done this but have seen it on Sharon Zambito's DVD. She places the pattern on the cake and then uses the tiny spatula (palette knife?) and rubs the icing over the stencil. Once she has covered the entire section she lifts it off. Repeats. After a couple of times she wipes down the stencil. Hope this helps.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by keystone

I haven't done this but have seen it on Sharon Zambito's DVD. She places the pattern on the cake and then uses the tiny spatula (palette knife?) and rubs the icing over the stencil. Once she has covered the entire section she lifts it off. Repeats. After a couple of times she wipes down the stencil. Hope this helps.

this is exactly what i was talking about. to the OP, i think you should really try to do it this way icon_smile.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:39pm
post #10 of 12

I have done it that way, place the stencil on, small spatula and royal icing. Works great.

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:40pm
post #11 of 12

I have done this. You put the stencil on the fondant. I used the small wilton cake spatula to spread the RI over the stencil. Scrape off the excess and lift the fondant......there you have the stencil. If you are doing this directly on the side of the cake, I would suggest a little scotch tape to hold the stencil in place. It comes right off without a mark. I did fondant panels that dried first before I did my stenciling so I did not need something to hold it to the side of the cake.

Here's a pic of my cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1298362

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:52pm
post #12 of 12

I just did a stencil design this weekend for a wedding cake. I did the same technique as Strazle. I placed the stencil onto the cake and spread a thin layer of icing over the stencil with a small cake spatula. Just make sure you spread it evenly as you will be able to see the inconsistencies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%