Red Velvet Wedding Cake--How To Set Up Soft Cake

Business By shaloop Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 11:40pm by costumeczar

shaloop Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:36am
post #1 of 6

What is the best set up for doing a tiered red velvet cake. they are notoriously soft and tender. Any tips or advice on the best kind of support?

5 replies
loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:45am
post #2 of 6

I use SPS for all my wedding cakes...and most of my cakes are buttercream. My RV doesnt hold well against fondant at all...so don't know how to help you with that one..

shaloop Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:00am
post #3 of 6

It will be buttercream. Well, cream cheese inside, buttercream outside. I just wondered about support inside the cake. Don't want any dowels moving around inside and the cake squishing or anything.

newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:02am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaloop

What is the best set up for doing a tiered red velvet cake. they are notoriously soft and tender. Any tips or advice on the best kind of support?

Just in case you want to give it a trial run, the red velvet cake recipe from the Martha Stewart wedding cakes book is a little more substantial than most red velvet cakes. It's still moist and delicious, but has more body and a bit denser. You can get the recipe off her website if you don't have the book.

indydebi Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:02am
post #5 of 6

As far as just the assembly of the cake, the texture of the cake doesn't really matter because it's not the cake on the bottom that is supporting the cake on the top ... your support system (SPS, dowels, straws, etc) is supporting the cake.

costumeczar Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 6

I do red velvet cake with plain old wooden dowels all the time and I don't have any problems.

edited to add:

I think that when you see people on tv whose cakes have collapsed and they blame it on the red velvet cake, they're full of it. It's their construction skills that are to blame, not the cake icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%