Email Bride To Be

Decorating By seagoat Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 6:47am by seagoat

seagoat Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 12:01am
post #1 of 13

Hello CC'ers

I'm having a bit of a problem with a BTB's cake. I have been communicating over emails since I'm in Costa Rica and she's in the states. She will be having her wedding here.

To keep the story short, How much would you charge for this cake ? 19 servings SMBC, fondant with the chocolate shells?

Needing a confidence boost right about now...Her reply wasn't nice.

I believe this cake is from mjs4492

12 replies
seagoat Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 12:03am
post #2 of 13

The cake sizes will be 8" and 4"

grama_j Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 12:19am
post #3 of 13

How much did you quote her ?

seagoat Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 12:22am
post #4 of 13

For the cake, based on 19 servings, fondant, SMBC, and chocolate shells plus delivery was $110.00.

pinklesley1 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 12:25am
post #5 of 13

i think that you charged her perfect... i would have charged 60 for the cake, 20 for the shells and 50 for delivery, so it would have been 130

what did she say to you???

something_sweet Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 12:35am
post #6 of 13

I don't think that is unreasonable. I would charge $75 for the cake, and I don't charge a deliver fee, for local deliveries. But if I were to charge a delivery fee it would be $25. Don't let her talk you down. If she really wants the cake, she will pay your price. After all, she is paying for a destination wedding right? What is $100 for a cake? Stick to your price, you're good!

grama_j Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:01am
post #7 of 13

That works out to about $5.00 per serving.....give or take.......... I can't get that much around here, but MANY people do...... GO FOR IT !

CakesByJen2 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:21am
post #8 of 13

If I charged per serving for one that small, it would be $4/svg, so that's $80. BUT, I have a $100 minimum, so I would either charge $100 or they could up the size to a 9" & 6" for a total of 32 servings for around $128.

MaloSlatko Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:41am
post #9 of 13

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. Charging per serving is not always sensilble to me because comparing this cake at to one serving twice as many is disproportionate: Making the decorations, the buttercream, cleaning up, etc. will be roughly the same for both cakes.

Sounds to me like the bride thinks a small cake should carry a huge discount. Here in Australia, I have never seen anyone charge per serving for wedding cakes, or any custom cakes at all. I do think it's a better way, seems to work for us icon_smile.gif

Mac Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:06am
post #10 of 13

$110 very reasonable. I have a minimum of $150.00 for a wedding cake--they can take it or leave it!

FromScratch Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:23am
post #11 of 13

I hate to say it, but that is a bit more than 19 servings. The 8" alone is 20 wedding servings. That would be a 30 serving cake if ordered from me and I would charge $200 for the cake and delivery fee is $2 per one way mile.

There are plenty of Aussies who charge per serving (Planet Cake is a huge one and I know quite a few who do as well). It assure that you get well paid for your cakes. It gives a nice base to assure you never short change yourself.

kelleym Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:27am
post #12 of 13

I agree with Mac. Even though it's small, it's still a lot of work. Your ingredient/supplies may cost you a little less, but it's virtually the same amount of work as if it were a 10", 6" or something similar. It's very reasonable to have a minimum price for a wedding cake. $110 is a fair price (I might even say it's a little underpriced). If the bride doesn't like it, she's welcome to print out the picture and take it to the local grocery store and ask them to replicate it. Ha! icon_evil.gif

seagoat Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:47am
post #13 of 13

I would love to see her take it to a grocery store! HA, we don't have stores like that where I live. I am pretty much the only one that makes cakes like this in my area. Maybe if you go to a 4 star hotel, the kitchen might make something....but nothing in my end of the boonies. She thought she was getting the cake for I told her that my pricing started at 2 dollars a serving. I am only charging her 10 dollars for delivery...and that's what I get charged. Living the simple life here, so I don't have a car.

Thank you for letting me know that I am on track. I should actually be charging more just because imported/special things here are way more expensive here than the states.

Quote by @%username% on %date%